I recently got this note from a newsletter I’m subscribed to: “Major media outlets have laid off more than 2,400 writers, editors, and support staff so far this year.”
Indeed, it’s hard to grow, make money, publish great content, and keep people employed in the media business. This is a complicated matter, but there’s basically so much published content out there (thanks to computers and the internet) that the value of published content is much lower than it once was.
That said, we think there’s a craving for in-depth, original, useful analyses and op-eds. Furthermore, we know there’s a gigantic cleantech market and that it is underserved and under-appreciated by major media outlets and even common Joe blogger.
We believe we are filling an important niche in the media landscape, and we surely are grateful for the fact that we have been able to grow year after year in the past 11 years of our existence. Thank you for any support you’ve provided — even the useful critiques that are sometimes hard to swallow.
Despite our growth up to this point, we could certainly do a lot more with more funding. We could publish more in-depth analyses, cover more news, and create more high-quality cleantech content on YouTube.
Advertising is — well, it pays the bills. It is what it is. Not many people like it, but it serves a role in society and it certainly enables most of the work CleanTechnica does. However, it is much more ideal in the media world to collect cash money via reader subscriptions. This encourages us to spend more time on original, in-depth content rather than abundant quick news. It also just makes us feel good — instead of living off of countless ads we don’t even see or necessarily like, we can live and create content thanks to appreciative readers who support our mission.
So, not to be pushy, but it would be really cool if you took the next step toward cleantech promotion and became a CleanTechnica Member, Supporter, or Ambassador.
We do occasionally send exclusive content and early previews to our Members, Supporters, and Ambassadors, and will probably do so much more going forward.
Aside from normal media subscriber support, we may also open up the opportunity to invest in CleanTechnica later this year. If you are potentially interested, drop us a note.
To end this shameless plug or two, I thought I’d highlight some of the original content we’ve published in the past two months. This stuff doesn’t come free, takes a lot of time and money to produce, and hopefully does indeed help the world a bit. The content has been read by millions and millions of people, and I think it’s safe to say we’ve convinced tens of thousands of people (if not more) to go electric and go solar. (But who really knows? These are complicated matters and we have no way of tracking this accurately.)
- Tesla Fremont Factory Tour Part 3 — Body Shop & General Assembly #CleanTechnicaTV
- Jerome — The Man, The Myth, The Tesla Super-Engineer — CleanTechnica Interview
- Our Interview With Tesla President Jerome Guillen, Part Deux
- Why Tesla’s Solar Roof Is A Bargain, 53% Of The Price Of A Roof + Electricity — Real-World CleanTechnica Analysis
- Tesla Supercharger Network Evolution — From 6 To 13,344 Superchargers In 6 Years
- Tesla’s V3 Superchargers Deliver 250 kW Charging & 1,722 km/hr
- Tesla Model 3 On SuperCharger V3 — Adds 50% Range In Under 12 Minutes! (Charts!)
- Correcting Audi: Tesla Model 3 Charges Over 2 Times Faster Than Audi e-tron
- Vegas, Baby! Los Angeles To Vegas & Back In A Tesla Model 3 — 8 Hours Of Driving & 70
- Chevy Bolt Owner’s Routine LA–Vegas Trip Entails ~1 Hour Of Round-Trip Charging On The Road
- NYTimes Spreads Misinformation About EVs — Let’s Clean Up The Mess
- Why Do The NYTimes & Other Large Media Outlets Get Tesla & EVs So Wrong?
- Initial Testing Suggests New 62 kWh Nissan LEAF Suffers From #Rapidgate On Longer Trips
- Scoop: Ford To Partner With Electrify America For Customer Access To EV Charging Network
- Electric Vehicle Charging Evolution In Poland
- Seasides & Volcanoes — Electric Van Road Trip, Part 3
- Krakow To Salt Mines, Auschwitz, Zakopane, & More In A Tesla Shuttle
- 520 Tesla Powerwalls To Be Used In Largest Rollout Of AC-Coupled Li-ion Batteries In Telecoms Sector
- The Chinese Tesla Model 3 “Super Margin” (Forecast)
- 9 Ways Tesla Network Can Help You Make Money
- Tesla Model 3 SR+ vs. German Competition In The US — & How That Makes The Tesla Network 100% Possible
- Tesla Model 3 Business Lease In Germany Should Send Chills Down Audi, BMW, & Mercedes Spines
- Chinese Tesla Model 3 Price Crushes BMW 3 Series & Mercedes C-Class Prices
- Tesla Model 3 Lease vs. Loan In UK, Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, & China
- Tesla Model 3 vs. BMW 330i — Tesla 30–55% Cheaper Over 5 Years
- Toyota Corolla vs. Tesla Model 3 — Cost Comparisons Over 5 Years
- Tesla Model 3 vs. Honda Civic — 15 Cost Comparisons Over 5 Years
- Nissan Altima & Maxima vs. Tesla Model 3 — Cost Comparisons Over 5 Years
- Tesla Model 3 Maintenance Guide — Costs Even Lower Than I Thought!
- Tesla’s New HW3 Self-Driving Computer — It’s A Beast (CleanTechnica Deep Dive)
- 10 *Real* Reasons To Buy A Tesla Model 3
- 30 Reasons To Buy An Electric Car … Today!
- US Auto Sales Down For Nissan, Jeep, Toyota, Ford, Chrysler, Dodge, Chevrolet, Honda, Mercedes, Infiniti, Audi, Mini, Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Buick, & Cadillac In 2019
- Yellow Light In US Auto Industry — Consumer Demand Problem Growing For Gas Cars
- 13 Amazing Tesla Sales Milestones (+ 17 Charts)
- Tesla Order Rate Surges 25% Worldwide, 116% In North America, According To New Data
- Tesla Outsold Porsche & Jaguar Globally In 1st Quarter
- European Electric Vehicle Market Up 28%
- China Electric Vehicle Sales Up To 5.4% Market Share
- Fully Electric Vehicles Could Gobble 10% Of Dutch Auto Market In 2019
- Tesla Model 3 = #1 Best Selling Vehicle In The Netherlands Again (June 2019)
- Tesla & Renault Shine In France — June EV Sales Report
- Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Was #1 EV In Germany In May, Renault Zoe New Leader In 2019
- Tesla Model 3 = #1 Top Selling Car In California In Terms Of Revenue — Q1 2019
- Tesla Model 3 = 3rd Best Selling Vehicle In California In 1st Quarter
- Tesla Model S = #1 Large Luxury Car In California, Tesla Model X = #2 Midsize SUV, Chevy Bolt = #2 Subcompact Car
- Tesla On Track To Nail Its 2014 Forecast For 2020 Production & Sales
- See Why Tesla Scares The Legacy Players
- 11 Year Tesla Death Anniversary Photos & Stories — Denmark to Curaçao to South Dakota
- Tesla 11 Year “Death Anniversary” Events — From Curaçao To Denmark
- Exclusive: Porsche Taycan Spy Shot At Electrify America Charging Station
- Historical Tesla [TSLA] Forecasts From Goldman Sachs, David Tamberrino
- Remember, Morgan Stanley’s Adam Jonas Predicted In 2016 Tesla Would Sell Only 246K Cars In 2020 — Just Sayin’
- 12 Months Of CNBC’s “Top” Tesla Coverage — 2016 Tesla Flashbacks
- The Media’s Story About Tesla Is Wrong, Facts Tell Another
- Tesla Marketing, Consumer Awareness, Tesla FUD, Tesla Communications, Elon Musk, & More — CleanTech Talk with Zac from Now You Know
- Tesla Vancouver Store Reportedly Took In ~800 Model 3 Orders Last Week
- Some Environmentalists Are Being Punked Regarding Tesla
- 10 Brilliant Quotes From Tesla Short Sellers & Confident Critics
- Is Wall Street Clueless On Tesla [TSLA]?
- Tesla Demand Cliff Analysis, Courtesy Of A Frunkpuppy Lover (Graph)
- How Wild & Useless Are Tesla Analyst Forecasts? Morgan Stanley Edition
- 2013–2019: Tesla Sales Jump From ~20,000 Per Year To ~20,000–30,000 Per Month … But Tesla Stock (TSLA) Barely Up
- Graph Of Tesla Analyst Stock Price Targets Raises Questions, Provides Two Takeaways
- Walt Disney World Solar Panels Now Span 270 Acres — 50-Megawatt Solar Park Powers ~2 Theme Parks
- Audi e-tron Review
- The Future Is Now: The Audi e-tron In Perspective
- Another “Tesla Killer” Missing In Action — Volkswagen Group Falls Short (Charts!)
- Selling Used EVs In A Red State
- Sign This Petition Asking Nissan To Fix Early 2018 LEAFs In North America
- Electrify America Map Fixed. New App, Better Pricing Plans Coming.
- JAC Electric-Only Ride-Hailing Service — #CleanTechnica Exclusive
- Two Years With The Chevy Bolt — Mixed Feelings & A Family Of Geese
- If GM/Cruise Is Way Behind Waymo, How Does It Compare To Tesla?
- tzero Flashback — Diving Into The EV That Kicked Off A Revolution
- Riding In DIY Electric Vehicles In Ukraine (Videos) — EV Flashback
- 1st Tesla Hearse — CleanTechnica Flashback
- What Do Elon Musk, Frodo Baggins, & Luke Skywalker Share In Common?
- Silicon Valley’s Fascinating History
- China × Cleantech — June 2019
- CleanTechnica In Chinese
- Our New Tesla Myths Page
Of course, those are basically just CleanTechnica originals — and not all of our originals. We also published hundreds of simpler news articles in the past couple of months, which we hope add value to societal awareness and action as well.
Thank you for helping us do this. The more help, the more content. 😀
Have a tip for CleanTechnica, want to advertise, or want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.