Tesla has been crushing sales records and important sales milestones in the past several months, yet most people still know very little about Tesla cars or don’t know the brand at all. It is a little amazing — surreal even. Reflecting on yet another amazing sales report while taking a shower last night, I had the idea to compile some of Tesla’s tremendous sales achievements.
I’m going to avoid single-month sales milestones like the Tesla Model 3 being the top selling car — of any type — in the Netherlands, Norway, and Switzerland in March. Due to Tesla’s wave-like delivery schedule, especially overseas, those kinds of milestones, exciting as they are, are a bit too unbalanced for the aim here. Every highlight below concerns one quarter, half a year, or a full year.
Except in the first two highlights, sales ranks are based on volume/units. (In the first two cases, note that highest grossing = best selling in terms of revenue, but not units.)
1. Tesla Model 3 = #1 Highest Grossing Vehicle (Of Any Fuel Type Or Class) In California In Q1 2019
2. Tesla Model 3 = #1 Highest Grossing Car In USA In 2nd Half Of 2018, 4th Highest Grossing Car In All Of 2018
3. Tesla Model 3 = #1 Best Selling Vehicle In California In 2nd Half Of 2018, 4th Best Selling Car In All Of 2018
4. Tesla Model 3 = #1 Best Selling Luxury Car In USA In Q1 2019
The headline here is impressive, but perhaps more impressive is seeing that Tesla accounted for 15% of US luxury car sales in the first quarter of 2019.
5. Tesla Model 3 = #1 Best Selling Vehicle In Norway — Q1 2019
6. Tesla Model 3 = 3rd Best Selling Vehicle In California (With Tax Credit Cut In Half & Global Deliveries Started) — Q1 2019
7. Tesla Model 3 = #1 Luxury Car In Netherlands — Jan–Apr 2019 (and Same In Switzerland)
8. Tesla Sold More Vehicles In 2nd Half Of 2018 Than Porsche Or Jaguar (Globally)
9. Tesla Model 3 = #1 Luxury Car In USA, By More Than 2× — 2018
10. Tesla = 19% Of Luxury Car Sales In USA — 2018
11. Tesla Model S = #1 Best Selling Large Luxury Car In USA, 37% Of Large Luxury Car Sales — 2018
12. Tesla Model 3 = 11th Best Selling Car In USA In 2018 & 13th Best Selling Car In USA In Q1 2019 (the only luxury car in the top 20)
13. Tesla Model 3 = #1 Best Selling Electric Vehicle In The World
Interested in buying a Tesla Model 3, Model S, or Model X? Need a referral code to get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging? Use ours: http://ts.la/tomasz7234 (or use someone else’s if they helped you more).
I don't like paywalls. You don't like paywalls. Who likes paywalls? Here at CleanTechnica, we implemented a limited paywall for a while, but it always felt wrong — and it was always tough to decide what we should put behind there. In theory, your most exclusive and best content goes behind a paywall. But then fewer people read it! We just don't like paywalls, and so we've decided to ditch ours. Unfortunately, the media business is still a tough, cut-throat business with tiny margins. It's a never-ending Olympic challenge to stay above water or even perhaps — gasp — grow. So ...
Sign up for daily news updates from CleanTechnica on email. Or follow us on Google News!
Have a tip for CleanTechnica, want to advertise, or want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.