We published earlier today on the fact that the Tesla Model S was the top-selling car (of any type) in Norway in March, and that it actually broke an all-time monthly registrations record in Norway. However, I dug in a little bit to track down a Norwegian article on this news, and I found a bunch of interesting facts on Tesla’s success in Norway. Here are 7 awesome facts regarding Tesla in Norway:
- Starting with perhaps the biggest, Tesla set a new Norway monthly record for any individual car model last month. Its 1493 Model S registrations beat the 1454 registrations that the Ford Sierra logged back in May 1986.
- There have been more Tesla Model S’s registered in the first three months of 2014 than all of Ford’s models combined. 2056 vs 1825.
- The Tesla Model S accounted for 10.8% of car registrations in Norway in March (and 12.9% of registrations in the last week of March).
- So far this year, the Model S has accounted for 5.6% of car registrations (2056), more than any other model. (Next in line is the Volkswagen golf at 4.3%, or 1577 registrations.)
- Tesla’s March 2014 registrations were more than double the #2 VW Golf’s registrations. 1493 vs 624.
- There are already more Tesla Model S’s registered in 2014 than were registered in all of 2013 — 2056 vs 1983. (Granted, Model S deliveries began in Norway in August.)
- Despite having just one model for sale, Tesla is currently the #6 manufacturer in Norway in 2014 in terms of registrations.
While we’re at it, let’s give Nissan some love, too. Its fully electric LEAF has also taken the top sales spot a few times in Norway. So far this year, it is #3, just barely behind the VW Golf (1559 vs 1577). In March, it was #5 in new registrations (425), behind the Golf (624) and the fully electric VW e-Up! (444).
More must-read stories on Norway’s EV leadership:
Norwegian Electric Car User Findings (10 Charts)
How Expensive Are Gasmobiles In Norway? VERY (& That’s Logical)
Top-Selling Cars In Norway Now Electric Cars (Two Months In A Row) — 4 Reasons Why
Record: Norway Electric Car Sales Hit 12% Of Total Car Sales In November
~1% Of Vehicles In Norway Now Electric
Norway’s Rocket Growth In Electric Car Sales (Chart)
Tesla CEO Elon Musk & CTO JB Straubel In Norway Q&A (VIDEOS)
Norway EV Sales In 2013 — 100% Increase In Sales
Keep up to date with electric vehicle news and Norway cleantech news here on CleanTechnica. Subscribing to our electric vehicle newsletter or overall cleantech newsletter to never miss a story (they’re free!).
Slide credit: Francisco Carranza, Manager of Corporate Planning at Nissan Europe. Photo credit: Zachary Shahan / EV Obsession / CleanTechnica
I don't like paywalls. You don't like paywalls. Who likes paywalls? Here at CleanTechnica, we implemented a limited paywall for a while, but it always felt wrong — and it was always tough to decide what we should put behind there. In theory, your most exclusive and best content goes behind a paywall. But then fewer people read it! We just don't like paywalls, and so we've decided to ditch ours. Unfortunately, the media business is still a tough, cut-throat business with tiny margins. It's a never-ending Olympic challenge to stay above water or even perhaps — gasp — grow. So ...
Sign up for daily news updates from CleanTechnica on email. Or follow us on Google News!
Have a tip for CleanTechnica, want to advertise, or want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.