We published earlier today on the fact that the Tesla Model S was the top-selling car (of any type) in Norway in March, and that it actually broke an all-time monthly registrations record in Norway. However, I dug in a little bit to track down a Norwegian article on this news, and I found a bunch of interesting facts on Tesla’s success in Norway. Here are 7 awesome facts regarding Tesla in Norway:
- Starting with perhaps the biggest, Tesla set a new Norway monthly record for any individual car model last month. Its 1493 Model S registrations beat the 1454 registrations that the Ford Sierra logged back in May 1986.
- There have been more Tesla Model S’s registered in the first three months of 2014 than all of Ford’s models combined. 2056 vs 1825.
- The Tesla Model S accounted for 10.8% of car registrations in Norway in March (and 12.9% of registrations in the last week of March).
- So far this year, the Model S has accounted for 5.6% of car registrations (2056), more than any other model. (Next in line is the Volkswagen golf at 4.3%, or 1577 registrations.)
- Tesla’s March 2014 registrations were more than double the #2 VW Golf’s registrations. 1493 vs 624.
- There are already more Tesla Model S’s registered in 2014 than were registered in all of 2013 — 2056 vs 1983. (Granted, Model S deliveries began in Norway in August.)
- Despite having just one model for sale, Tesla is currently the #6 manufacturer in Norway in 2014 in terms of registrations.
While we’re at it, let’s give Nissan some love, too. Its fully electric LEAF has also taken the top sales spot a few times in Norway. So far this year, it is #3, just barely behind the VW Golf (1559 vs 1577). In March, it was #5 in new registrations (425), behind the Golf (624) and the fully electric VW e-Up! (444).
More must-read stories on Norway’s EV leadership:
Keep up to date with electric vehicle news and Norway cleantech news here on CleanTechnica. Subscribing to our electric vehicle newsletter or overall cleantech newsletter to never miss a story (they’re free!).
Have a tip for CleanTechnica? Want to advertise? Want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.
Our Latest EVObsession Video
CleanTechnica uses affiliate links. See our policy here.