Published on January 7th, 2014 | by Nicholas Brown0
Norway EV Sales In 2013 — 100% Increase In Sales
January 7th, 2014 by Nicholas Brown
Norway has been doing relatively well in electric vehicle sales. Per capita, it leads the world. Let’s take a quick look at 2013’s sales to see how they’re doing.
Norway is currently the largest electric vehicle market in the world for a variety of reasons, and especially due to EV awareness. There has also been significant growth in that market from 2012 to 2013. In 2012, there were 3,950 passenger EV registrations; while in 2013, there were 7,882, resulting in EVs holding a market share of 5.5% in 2013. That’s a 100% increase in registrations!
It might even double again in 2014, as the EV market share in November and December was over 11% of total car sales.
The registration of light electric delivery vehicles is tallied separately, totaling 340 in 2013. In 2012, there were only 59.
And finally, we also should include used imported electric cars because in Norway this is a significant source of EVs. A total of 2,086 units were bought this way, which accounted for ~25% of new car sales. This is also several times more than the 309 in 2012. From where does Norway draws all these 2,086 cars?
Everything above adds up to 10,143 EV registrations for 2013, vs 4,318 in 2012. Norway now has 20,000 EVs on its roads, and at the end of 2014, it may exceed 40,000.
A Breakdown Of EV Registrations By Model
Here are the numbers for 2012:
- Nissan Leaf — 2,298 registrations. 58.2% market share.
- Mitsubishi i-MiEV — 665 registrations. 16.8% market share.
- Citroen C-Zero — 513 registrations. 13% market share.
- Peugeot iOn – 403 registrations. 10.3% market share.
- Other – 67 registrations. 1.7% market share.
And here are the numbers for 2013:
- Nissan Leaf — 4,604 registrations. 58.4% market share.
- Tesla Model S — 1,983 registrations. 25.2% market share. As for the rest.
- VW e-up! – 580 registrations. 7.4% market share.
- i-MiEV, C-Zero, iOn — 550 registrations. 7% market share.
- Other: 162 registrations. 2.1% market share.
Follow me on Twitter: @Kompulsa.
Don’t own or lease an electric car but want to? Complete our EV owner wannabe survey!
Keep up to date with all the hottest cleantech news by subscribing to our (free) cleantech newsletter, or keep an eye on sector-specific news by getting our (also free) solar energy newsletter, electric vehicle newsletter, or wind energy newsletter.