Published on July 1st, 2017 | by Zachary Shahan0
Tesla Model 3 Month Is Here
July 1st, 2017 by Zachary Shahan
Tesla CEO Elon Musk has said on multiple occasions in the past year that the target was to start production of the Tesla Model 3 in July. When he first said this (on one of Tesla’s quarterly conference calls), he was very hesitant to say it because he indicated it was a strict target for suppliers specifically because they knew not all suppliers would end up meeting the target. To try to really meet the target (or not go far beyond it), Tesla had penalties in place for suppliers who missed the deadline. Furthermore, as a backup, Tesla said it was preparing production capacity for any critical parts of the car itself in case its suppliers fell through.
Also worth noting is that Tesla adopted a “design for manufacturing” approach for the Model 3 — an approach that meant every element of the Model 3’s design had to be easy to manufacture, to put it simply. The point again: Don’t miss the production targets.
Even with all of that laid out many months ago, a ton of people figured Tesla would be way behind schedule manufacturing the Model 3, that manufacturing wouldn’t really start till 2018 even, or 2020. Yada yada yada.
Elon warned people last year to not base Model 3 production/delay estimates on the Model S or Model X scenarios. That would lead to faulty conclusions based on bad analogies. Obviously, Tesla learned several lessons, including some ginormous ones, from their manufacturing experience over the last decade.
Well, all of the cautious and thoughtful approaches Tesla implemented for Model 3 production seem to have paid off. As we wrote a couple of weeks ago, Model 3 production actually seems to be ahead of schedule. It may have already started. We don’t have a date for the final unveiling event, where the first production Model 3s will be delivered, but Elon noted that it would be in July … this month.
As a pre-party taster for your brain cells and eyeballs, here’s a list of original and hot stories we’ve published in the past month to lead into this record-shattering time period:
- 20 Gasmobiles Tesla Model 3 Will Body Slam
- How Does The Chevy Bolt Compare To The Tesla Model 3?
- Tesla Model 3 vs Audi A3, Audi A4, Audi A5, Audi S3
- Tesla Model 3 vs BMW 2 Series, 3 Series, 4 Series, 5 Series, & i3
- Tesla Model 3 vs Acura ILX, Acura TLX, & Acura RLX
- Tesla Model 3 vs Mercedes 300, Mercedes 350e, Mercedes AMG
- Tesla Model 3 vs Lexus ES (& ES Hybrid), Lexus IS, Lexus GS (& GS Hybrid), & Lexus CT Hybrid
- BMW USA Sales Down Dramatically — Tesla Model 3 Hitting Already?
- How Far Behind Tesla Is Big Auto? How Long Till It Catches Up?
- Tesla Model 3 Interior Webinar: Predictions, Preparations, & Prayers (#Electrifying)
- When Will Your Tesla Model 3 Be Delivered? Ben Sullins May Know.
- Elon Musk Clarifies Tesla Model 3 Production Strategy & City
- Tesla’s Unlikely Success, Model 3 Spy Shots, Monty Python, & TSLA
- Tesla Model 3 Spy Shots Flooding Internet (44 Pictures)
- Stop The “Tesla Killer” Nonsense
- Honestly, What Can Automakers Do About Tesla Model 3 & Model Y?
- Tesla Insider Leaks Model 3 Production Details & Options At Launch
- What Now, Tesla Naysayers?
- Tesla Won … Sort Of
Check out our new 93-page EV report, based on over 2,000 surveys collected from EV drivers in 49 of 50 US states, 26 European countries, and 9 Canadian provinces.