Published on September 14th, 2017 | by Zachary Shahan0
SpaceX Employee’s Tesla Model 3 Delivery Update Hints At Quicker Than Expected Production (Maybe)
September 14th, 2017 by Zachary Shahan
What is the most important electric vehicle matter of 2017 and 2018 for the future of the industry (and humanity)? I think most of you would say the Tesla Model 3 production ramp.
If Tesla breaks the clock that infamously runs on “Tesla time” and is able to get through “production hell” faster than expected, put on your seatbelts, the auto industry is going to be quickly propelled into a very different automotive future — like a passenger in a surprise Model S P100D bloodstream boost.
If everything falls apart for months upon months, yikes, Tesla itself could be existentially threatened (to some degree) and large automakers could feel permitted to pump the brakes and see if they really, truly have to do their homework or can just skip class again and slip the teacher $1000.
If things go exactly as planned, hundreds of thousands of Model 3 electric cars with Tesla superpowers and Easter eggs should be zipping along streets across the US within approximately one year (and maybe on sleds in freshly bored tunnels, for that matter). If anyone thinks that won’t have a dramatic effect on the US auto market, wait till my next article to troll us — it’ll come with a couple of hyperbolic quotes you’ll love.
The focus of this story is simply one Model 3 delivery. Being just one delivery and at such an early stage of the Model 3 production ramp, I’d certainly advise that we not get too giddy, but the signs so far appear quite good. Yesterday, a Model 3 Owners Club forum member with the username “Rocketman” posted the following:
“Ahhhh! Just got the call from Tesla today about my Model 3 delivery! My tesla account says Oct-Dec delivery and they told me that i will more than likely have the car by the end of this month!”
In simple, less excited English: This guy’s Model 3 delivery looks set to arrive this month instead of the initially estimated Oct–Dec timeframe. That would hint that production is 1–3 months “ahead of schedule.”
Honestly, if you look back at Elon’s statement last year that July was the officially targeted start of production but not a realistic start of production (something would surely go wrong), the Model 3 timeline is even more significantly ahead of schedule and “Tesla time” was already shattered … but we won’t bicker.
As his username implies, Rocketman is a SpaceX employee. We haven’t undisputably confirmed this, but I’ve reached out for some proof, at least to try to hold back the anti-Tesla trolls — you know, the ones who were saying last year that Model 3 production wouldn’t start till 2020 or so. (Update: I received satisfactory confirmation of Rocketman’s identity and employment at SpaceX.)
Yes, it’ll be ideal to get some news from people who aren’t employees of Tesla or SpaceX that their Model 3 reservations are locked in and delivery is approaching (or has already passed), and it’ll be great to get a lot of spy shots of real live Model 3s on streets and in parking lots, but until then, this is super exciting news and a good sign that production hell won’t be such a difficult challenge for Tesla this time around.
Well, let’s be honest, if Elon is spending time editing together SpaceX rocket explosions for a bit of fun and a long laugh, he’s probably feeling good about Model 3 production progress … or he’s just playing 4D chess with us. 😀
High res version at https://t.co/YysKftHhoz
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) September 14, 2017
For more Tesla Model 3 stories, click that link to scroll through article archives for the beauty and/or check out these CleanTechnica originals:
- Tesla Model 3 vs 22 Competitors (The Straight Specs)
- Tesla Model 3 vs Electric Competitors (The Straight Specs)
- 504,000 Tesla Model 3 Gasmobile Competitor Sales In USA In 2016, & Why To Buy Them In 2018
- 700,000 Tesla Model 3 Sales Per Year — Optimistic? Pessimistic? Spot On The Money?
- Will Tesla Model 3 Become Top-Selling Car In USA? #2? #3? #5?
- When Will I Get My Model 3 (In Europe)?
- 4 Highlights From Motor Trend’s Tesla Model 3 Test Drive
- 20 Gasmobiles Tesla Model 3 Will Body Slam
- Tesla Model 3 Review From EV Annex (Exclusive Video Interview & Review)
- The Navdy Intelligent Heads-Up Display Makes In-Car Productivity Safe, For The First Time (CleanTechnica Review)
- Honestly, What Can Automakers Do About Tesla Model 3 & Model Y?
- Tesla Model 3 Test Track Video (#CleanTechnica Exclusive From Unveiling Night, Abridged)
- Tesla Model 3 — Exclusive Test Track Photos
- Tesla Won (… Sort Of)
- What Goes On In The Minds Of Auto Execs?
- How Does The Chevy Bolt Compare To The Tesla Model 3?
- Tesla Model 3 vs Audi A3, Audi A4, Audi A5, Audi S3
- Tesla Model 3 vs BMW 2 Series, 3 Series, 4 Series, 5 Series, & i3
- Tesla Model 3 vs Mercedes 300, Mercedes 350e, Mercedes AMG C43
- Tesla Model 3 vs Acura ILX, Acura TLX, & Acura RLX
- Tesla Model 3 vs Lexus ES (& ES Hybrid), Lexus IS, Lexus GS (& GS Hybrid), & Lexus CT Hybrid
- 23–50% of Electric Car Drivers Plan to Get Tesla Model 3 Next (CleanTechnica Report)