Photo courtesy Megan Gale
This article is my reminder that the federal tax credit will go down from $3,750 to $1,875 for Tesla buyers in about a week — you must take delivery by Sunday, June 30th, to get the larger tax credit. Just a week ago, I wrote an article giving 5 reasons to buy before July 1st. Briefly, they are:
- The tax credit will be cut in half. (Note that there are also state, utility, and city subsidies in some places — I linked to information on incentives in 18 states and Washington, DC, in that article.
- Free unlimited Supercharging on inventory Model S and Model X (very few Model X’s available, check EV-CPO.com).
- Free Ludicrous Mode on Performance Model S & X for existing owners.
- Pricing for Full Self Driving will eventually increase.
- Tesla cars are really fun to drive, and who wants to wait?
Now, a week later, there are another few reasons.
Tesla Changing The “Free” Color From Black To White
So if you are planning to order a black Model 3 because you like black (and not because you just want the cheapest color), that makes it a sixth reason to buy before July. If you think you will get multi-coat Pearl for free in July, Elon said in another tweet that you don’t, it will be a simple white.
Camping In A Tesla
Summer is here and you can use your free Supercharging miles to drive into your summer vacation instead of flying. With Autopilot, long trips are easier than ever.
If you really want to save money, you can find a safe place to park and roll out a mattress (I’ve done this with a nice latex mattress and it was very comfortable, with no bugs and the air conditioning left on all night to keep it nice and cool). With tinted windows and a sunshade for the windshield, you can see the stars and can see all around you, but nobody can see in your car. I do recommend parking close to a bathroom.
The Model 3 is big enough for two friendly people if they aren’t too wide. As you can see in the picture above, the Model S can even hold 3, if one of them is tiny.
Dreamcase offers a mattress custom made for the Tesla for about $700, but a 2″ or 3″ mattress topper from Target or Amazon will meet most people’s needs and be a lot cheaper. Buy a twin size and it will be pretty close to the correct size.
The Car You Have Now Will Depreciate Faster
As we have covered in a variety of articles, Tesla vehicles have experienced very low depreciation rates compared to either other electric cars or other cars in its class. Two new factors are happening that may accelerate the superiority of Teslas in this area.
- As Tesla shocks the world with highlighted features of Full Self Driving, it will generate tremendous demand for its vehicles — as it becomes obvious not only that Tesla’s AI plans are working, but also that no other company has the billions of miles of data to train their cars to match Tesla.
- As more countries and cities begin the phaseout of gas and diesel cars, the resale value of those vehicles will start to decline faster. Although we will certainly be driving gas and diesel cars for quite some time, their value goes down a lot when cities and countries don’t let you use them. When one market bans gas and diesel cars, those vehicles won’t be crushed, but instead they will be exported to another market for a few years, making the sale of new gas and diesel cars impossible and greatly depressing their value in the used car and truck market.
Other Quarter-End News
As you might have seen, Max reported that the first batch of Model 3 cars recently arrived in the UK, and Kyle reported recently that the latest software update boosts the Supercharging rate 20%!
Anecdotal Inventory Survey In Tampa
I’ve now given you 7 reasons to buy a Tesla, but we have written a lot more on our site about the reasons to buy a Tesla. Some of my favorite articles on this cover their unmatched safety, an incredible path to full self driving, this article showing how affordable a Model 3 is, and Zach just updated his comprehensive article giving you 30 reasons your next car should be an EV!
Use my Tesla referral link to get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging on a Tesla Model S, Model X, or Model 3, here’s the link: https://ts.la/paul92237 (but if someone else helped you more, please use their link instead of mine).
Don't want to miss a cleantech story? Sign up for daily news updates from CleanTechnica on email. Or follow us on Google News!
Have a tip for CleanTechnica, want to advertise, or want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.