Published on January 14th, 2018 | by Zachary Shahan0
Michael Liebreich & Nicki Shields Headline The Mobility Conference (& Me Too)
January 14th, 2018 by Zachary Shahan
We are a few days away from 1st edition of The Mobility Conference, part of the World Future Energy Summit and Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week. As you’ve probably seen by now, CleanTechnica is a co-organizer of the conference and I will be presenting about global electrification of transport as well as findings from our brand new EV charging report.
Another headliner just announced is the always superb Michael Liebreich, founder of New Energy Finance, which later became Bloomberg New Energy Finance. And the host of the event will be Nicki Shields, a Formula E and CNN International presenter.
The UAE-based mobility conference is looking at how to take the industry from niche to mainstream in the region as well as globally.
As longtime CleanTechnica readers know, the past few years have been exciting times for the UAE — the price of electricity from solar power bids has hit world record lows multiple times, and now companies are starting to enter the market with their electric vehicle products — the Chevy Bolt in Q4 2018, the Renault Zoe in Oct 2017, Tesla is early 2017, and Nissan now has ads everywhere for the new Nissan LEAF and will be showcasing the LEAF at WFES (Nissan is also a Platinum Sponsor for The Mobility Conference).
Always with an eye on global trends, Michael Liebreich’s opening keynote is both perfect timing and a signifier that the EV market and renewable energy market are looking promising for the UAE in 2018. Nicki Shields, coming in from the Formula E Marrakesh race to join as the host for The Mobility Conference, is also another sign that this market is seen as hot, interesting, and ready to join the leadership race. Would it be the first time an oil giant becomes an electric vehicle leader? No, Norway is far and away the top EV market, relatively speaking. But isn’t that interesting that oil giants are becoming electric transport leaders. Hmm…
Register for The Mobility Conference here if you can make it. The full speaker lineup is as follows:
- Host: Nicki Shields — Scientist & Presenter at Formula E and CNN
- Michael Liebreich — Founder of Bloomberg New Energy Finance
- Taher Diab — Senior Director for Strategy & Planning at Dubai Supreme Council of Energy
- Fares Al Mazrooei — Co-Founder and Managing Director of Volt
- Ben Pullen — Co-Founder & Managing Director of Global EVRT
- Len Hunt — President of the Automotive Division at Al-Futtaim
- Ismail Sethi — Regional Product Marketing Manager SUV, Crossovers and Electric Vehicles at Nissan
- Mohamed Jama Mohamed — Project Manager for Abu Dhabi Low Emission Vehicle Strategy at Abu Dhabi Department of Transport
- Sam Alawiye — Chief Executive Officer at GreenParking
- Vilhelm Hedberg — Chief Executive Officer at eKar
- Dr. Deepti Mahajan Mittal — Programme Leader, Climate & Energy at EWS-WWF
- Klaus Theml — Head of Intelligent Traffic System at Siemens
- Steve Severance — Head of Programme Management at Masdar City
- Ali Izadi-Najafabadi — Head of Intelligent Mobility at Bloomberg New Energy Finance
- Laure Alazet — New Business Developer at Engie
- Gary West — Urban Active Operations Manager at General Motors
- Mohamed Hamdy — Venture Capital at Dubai Future Foundation
- Raji Hattar — Chief Sustainability Officer at Aramex
- Adrian White — Director Partnership Marketing at InterContinental Hotel Group
- Christian Leborgne — Chief Operations Officer at Navya
- Zachary Shahan (me) — Director of CleanTechnica
As a reminder, The Mobility Conference is also the launchpad for the 2018 Middle East Electric Vehicle Road Trip. Join that as well if you can! I won’t be able to make most of that, but a couple of CleanTechnica reports will be onboard.