One of the speakers at the coming World Future Energy Summit’s 1st annual The Mobility Conference, which is also the kickoff point for the 2018 Middle East Electric Vehicle Road Trip, is Fares Almazrooei. Aside from having several electric vehicles in his stable, Mr. Almazrooei is Cofounder and Managing Director of Volt. He has been an EV leader in the UAE since the Tesla Roadster days. He also has a much broader role in Dubai and UAE business, policy, and politics.
Below is an interview Ben Pullen, Cofounder and Managing Director of Global EVRT, conducted with Mr. Almazrooei about the EV story in the UAE. As you can see, he even approaches interviews with a pointed, no-nonsense, matter-of-fact style — an efficient process and clear targets for improvement.
- Targets — achieved and to accelerate the sustainability in automobile industry. This will contribute substantially to stopping global climate change.
- Policies — there are quite a few policies that need to be addressed, from VAT to power providers.
2. What sustainable transport pearls of wisdom will you be mainly be talking about and sharing at at the WFES/Global EVRT Mobility Conference in January?
- Incentive Programs
3. What are the main challenges facing the industry right now?
- Lack of government support
- Heavy incentive programs must be introduced
- Mandate all manufacturers and dealers to bring in their electric vehicles to GCC
- Changing policies in homologation standard to allow manufacturers and dealers to bring in the electric vehicles.
4. How do you see the market playing out by 2020?
I think there will be an increase of 100% electric vehicles on the roads from today until 2020 and that will double if there will be policies implemented with proper or effective incentive programs.
Appreciate CleanTechnica’s originality? Consider becoming a CleanTechnica Member, Supporter, Technician, or Ambassador — or a patron on Patreon.