Published on August 29th, 2017 | by Zachary Shahan0
BMW i3 Gets Sporty — New i3S
August 29th, 2017 by Zachary Shahan
The new BMW i3S adds some power, features slightly “sportier” styling, and has more of a pitbull stance.
More specifically, here’s what’s new:
- Sporty black and red paint job, of course.
- Wider wheelbase & lowered suspension (by 10 mm) — stockier stance. (Sort of makes it look like it has duck legs, though.)
- Thicker wheels — 20″ bi-spoke alloys, two-tone or jet black finish, at no extra cost.
- 184 hp & 199 lb-ft electric motor, which equals a 0-60 mph time of 6.8 seconds (instead of the i3’s normal 7.2 seconds).
- Interior trim options = Giga Brown Natural Leather & Carum Spice Grey Cloth
- New color options = Melbourne Red Metallic and Imperial Blue Metallic
The BMW i3 is already one of the most enjoyable cars to drive — perhaps even my favorite for city driving! I’m definitely interested in trying out this sportier version. The wider stance alone probably makes it feel more solid, which would be a bonus since the normal i3 feels a little tipsy at times. And the extra power is always a plus. 😀
Sure, these modifications are unlikely to pull away many (any?) Tesla Model 3 reservation holders, but it’s still cool that BMW has added one new electric option, and one that adds a little more sport and fun into the lineup. Long considering a BMW i3, I’d have to test out the i3S next to a normal i3 to decide which I prefer overall.
No word on pricing of the i3S or when it will be on dealer lots, but it will presumably arrive before the end of the year.
Here are more pics:
Check out our new 93-page EV report, based on over 2,000 surveys collected from EV drivers in 49 of 50 US states, 26 European countries, and 9 Canadian provinces.