Published on December 18th, 2016 | by Zachary Shahan0
Solar Panel Costs, Tesla Model S One-Year Review, “Free” Nissan LEAF … (Top 20 CleanTechnica Stories + Top 24 CleanTechnica Stories)
December 18th, 2016 by Zachary Shahan
For ages, people have been requesting that we offer a weekly newsletter — to supplement our main daily one, our EV one, our solar one, and our wind one. For various reasons, I’ve never really been into the idea … but things change.
If you want a short roundup of our “top” articles of the week, you can now subscribe to this newsletter!
Aside from just sharing the 20 most popular articles of the week, I’m going to trial highlighting my personal favorite articles as well — whether they overlap or not. Let’s see how that goes.
Below are the usual top 20 list and then my 24 favorites. Enjoy!
Top 20 CleanTechnica Stories (by Pageviews)
- How Much Does Solar Panel Installation Really Cost? Here’s How To Find Out
- Tesla Model S Long-Term Review — Year 1 Summary (CleanTechnica Exclusive)
- A 2014 Nissan LEAF Can Be An Essentially “Free Car” (YMMV!)
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk Plans Fix For People Who Don’t Move Car After Supercharging
- SolarCity Shows Massive Rooftop Solar Growth Potential In America In 3 Maps
- Get A New Nissan LEAF As Low As $11,510 (After Incentives) In Kansas Or Missouri!
- Vertical Integration: How Tesla’s Elon Musk Employs A Long-Lost Approach From A Bygone Era In American Business (via EV Annex)
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk On Trump’s Strategic & Policy Forum
- Look Fast: Solar Is Blowing Past Coal…And Gas…And Wind
- Full Text Of 74-Item Questionnaire Trump Transition Team Sent To DOE
- Fremont Approves Massive Tesla Factory Expansion
- Tesla Introduces Supercharger Idling Fee To Discourage Bad Behavior (#ElonTweets Update)
- Espin E-Bike Review: Pedal-Assisted Awesomeness
- Lucid Motors Officially Unveils The “Air” (20 Pictures)
- Lucid Motors Air Test Ride
- China’s Opening Gets Bigger & Bigger As Trump Walks Into More Traps (His Own Traps)
- Hyperloop = $40 Million Per Kilometer, Hyperloop Transportation Technologies Chairman Claims
- Vestas’ 8 Megawatt “World’s Most Powerful Wind Turbine” Getting A Workout In UK & Belgian Waters
- Grocery Stores, Gas Stations, & IKEA Setting Up EV Charging Stations For Tesla Owners (via Evannex)
- We May Have Been Talking About Climate Change All Wrong (via Think Progress)
My 24 Favorites
In no particular order (just numbered for ease of use), here were my favorite stories of the week.
- I think you have to love that Pope Francis keeps speaking out about money’s absurd influence over politics and the catastrophic runaway global heating and climate change that corruption could be ordering up. (Via Eden Keeper)
- It’s critical that the media and the common person understand how Donald Trump (aka “Don the Con”) distracts and deflects attention away from important matters by dangling shiny objects and dropping absurd outbursts on Twitter. Please, don’t be fooled by shiny objects.
- A new record-low offshore wind price of €54.5/MWh for a 700 MW Dutch wind farm! Amazing! We got down to this super low price faster than I expected!
- Nearby, in Denmark, the nascent solar market (in this super-northerly Scandinavian country) pulled in average winning prices bids of just 5.4¢/kWh for solar farms there. Say whaaaaaat?!
- Speaking of Denmark … 56% of its electricity now comes from renewables. (Via the ECOreport.)
- The Bolt arrived. #Huge
- A new Nissan LEAF for only $11,500? Hard to not make that one of the stories!
- But the fact that some people can get a 2014 Nissan LEAF essentially for free sort of blows my mind. Used EVs for the win!
- It may not come across as a huge milestone to the uninitiated, but the US just got its first non-Tesla superfast charging station (er, construction is now underway). That’s one small step for EVgo, but one giant leap for EVkind.
- Not an uplifting one, but I think NOAA’s 2015–2016 Arctic Report Card is a must-read.
- The fast-changing economics of energy and solar’s continued fall — even below wind power’s low costs! — is always a fun story, especially when backed by BNEF data.
- Fossil fuel divestments have reached a whopping $5 trillion. This movement is getting rolling!
- OK, you can call it VW vaporware, but another announcement about a microbus robotaxi is exciting news in my book.
- Beautiful pics of the wonderful-sounding Lucid Motors Air — enough said.
- And why is Lucid Motors such a potentially big deal?
- Kyle dropped us a wonderful 1-year review of his CPO Tesla Model S. Ready enough Model S reviews? This one is still worth it.
- The US solar industry installed 2 megawatts of solar per hour in Q3! Wha What!
- Trump silver lining? He has inspired record resistance.
- Yeah, this list is crazy — and it was just the biggest Trump Towers absurdity within a 5-hour timeframe. No wonder there’s record resistance.
- In case you weren’t following, here’s one reason why Vladimir Putin decided to put Trump in the White House.
- Electric car sales are booming in China, and Daimler is looking to cash in.
- “God’s Waiting Room” has decided it’s time to switch to 100% renewable electricity.
- … Or, wait, maybe it was “100% energy freedom” rather than “100% renewable electricity?”
- In other words, if want to sell people on cleantech, speak to their emotions, culture, and identity.
And, OF COURSE, I have to highlight (again) CleanTechnica’s new store and awesome t-shirts and mugs! 😀