A number of interesting new facts related to the Tesla Model 3 were revealed by the folks over at the Daily Kanban, after they obtained the Model 3 CAEATFA application filed by Tesla last year.
While nothing that surprising is revealed, and some figures more or less match previous comments made by Tesla CEO Elon Musk and others, some of the facts are quite interesting and seem worth reposting.
Here’s the list from the Daily Kanban:
- Tesla wrote that “Similar to our Model X, we expect Model 3 to be an extremely popular vehicle.” Yes, they actually wrote that.
- Tesla estimates the Model 3’s efficiency at 318 wh/mile.
- Tesla estimates the Model 3’s average transaction price will be $43,014.
- The pre-tax profit margin on the Model 3 is anticipated to be 11%, according to Tesla’s CAEATFA form.
- Tesla is currently developing gearboxes along with battery packs and electric motors as part of its R&D activities at its Palo Alto headquarters.
- Model 3 production will share about 20% of the Gen 2 (Model S and Model X) production equipment at the Fremont plant and elsewhere.
- The Model 3 expansion will expand Tesla’s California workforce by 5,600 jobs, up from 9,200 in September 2015.
- Tesla has identified locations in California where it anticipates creating new manufacturing facilities for component materials currently supplied by its non-California suppliers.
- Tesla estimates that California will make up demand for 20% of its vehicles for the foreseeable future.
- CAEATFA is providing Tesla with $392,775 in tax relief for each new job created by the Model 3 investment.
The bit about a pre-tax profit margin of 11% for the Model 3 is particularly interesting, though who knows how accurate that bit will end up being — that sort of thing can be hard to accurately predict so far in advance of actual manufacturing.
Have a tip for CleanTechnica? Want to advertise? Want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.
CleanTechnica Holiday Wish Book
Our Latest EVObsession Video
CleanTechnica uses affiliate links. See our policy here.