Published on June 2nd, 2011 | by Zachary Shahan9
iPhone & iPod Touch App Crowdsources Locations of EV Charging Stations
June 2nd, 2011 by Zachary Shahan
Tina wrote about a Google and Department of Energy initiative to create a comprehensive map of electric vehicle (EV) charging stations for the United States in April. Of course, that is awesome and I have no doubt they will create an awesome and useful map. But now, I’ve just read about what may be an even cooler EV charging station map that’s in the works.
Xatori Inc., a software innovation company, has created an iPhone app that provides instant access to EV charging stations and other EV owners. The information is largely crowdsourced. Again, this is a nationwide project.
Here’s more from our sister site, Insteading:
PlugShare is a community-driven electric vehicle charging network that allows iPhone and iPod touch owners in the United States to share their outlets with one another.
The app gives electric vehicle drivers an instant map of an area’s available, paid charging stations and homes or lots that will allow them to plug in and recharge for free, making it similar to AirBnB or CouchSurfing, but with cars instead of beds.
Beautiful. Love it.
In addition to just helping people find and access EV infrastructure, the app is focused around supporting and growing an EV culture as well.
“We want to build and support a community that’s creating a paradigm shift to a massively cleaner type of transportation,” Xatori co-founder and chief executive Forrest North told TechCrunch. Sounds great. Makes me, all of a sudden, wish I had an EV (and an iPhone, but I’ve been wanting that for awhile).
Here’s a little more from Insteading:
With the PlugShare App, users can:
- Share electricity with others
- Browse a listing of public charging stations
- View profiles of other PlugShare members
- Call or SMS other PlugShare members
- Search for places to charge
- Connect with other EV owners and enthusiasts
- Set privacy and notification settings
- Get directions to shared outlets or charging stations
Thoughts? Have the app yet? Give us some comment love.
- Google Maps Will Guide EV Drivers to Charging Stations
- Wouldn’t You Really Rather Have an Electric Vehicle?
- GE Converts Parking Lot to Solar Charging Station for Electric Vehicles
- Texas Gets First Wind-Powered Cars in the U.S.
- Car 2.0 Overview
Buy a cool T-shirt or mug in the CleanTechnica store!
Keep up to date with all the hottest cleantech news by subscribing to our (free) cleantech daily newsletter or weekly newsletter, or keep an eye on sector-specific news by getting our (also free) solar energy newsletter, electric vehicle newsletter, or wind energy newsletter.