Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?



Volkswagen Sneaks Ahead Of Tesla In Hot Swiss EV Market

Switzerland is a top electric vehicle market in the world. So far this year, 7.5% of all auto sales in the country are full-electric vehicles (BEV). Another 19.3% are plugin hybrid sales, which brings the total plugin share to 26.8%.

The top selling BEV on the Swiss market is the Tesla Model 3. It had 15% of the BEV market in January–July 2020. Other top BEVs were the Volkswagen ID.3 (10%), Renault ZOE (7%), Fiat 500e (6%), Volkswagen ID.4 (5%), Volvo XC40 (4%), Hyundai Kona EV (4%), Polestar 2 (3%), and the list goes on and on.

In the month of July, the Model 3 was absent (due to Tesla’s logistics and delivery schedule), leaving room for the Skoda Enyaq to become #1 for the month (6.9% of the BEV market in Switzerland). The Enyaq was followed not that far behind by the Volkswagen ID.3 (6.8%) and Fiat 500e (6.7%) — which were only one unit apart. The Mercedes EQA (5.9%), Hyundai Kona EV (5.8%), Renault ZOE (5.5%), and Volvo XC40 (5.2%) rounded out the top 7.

But that’s just models. Let’s look at auto brands.

Volkswagen Takes #1 Spot in Switzerland

Volkswagen (15.9%) has edged out Tesla (15.4%) in the first 7 months of the year, while Renault is solid at 9.6%. Audi is next at 6%, and Volkswagen and Fiat share 5.8% of the market.

Volkswagen slipped above Tesla during one of Tesla’s weak first-month-of-the-quarter months. The California car company delivered almost no vehicles in July. Though, expect Tesla vehicles to start rolling in again in August, and another large shipment should hit in September. That could well rocket Tesla back into the leadership position, but we’ll have to wait to see. Volkswagen will be looking to increase its sales in Switzerland as well. When one out of every four car sales are electric, everyone’s going to want to be the electric leader in the market (except Toyota and Honda — forget about them).

Update: Per the request of some readers, below are charts ranking automotive groups by their total BEV sales in July and January–July.


Sign up for daily news updates from CleanTechnica on email. Or follow us on Google News!

Have a tip for CleanTechnica, want to advertise, or want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.

Former Tesla Battery Expert Leading Lyten Into New Lithium-Sulfur Battery Era — Podcast:

I don't like paywalls. You don't like paywalls. Who likes paywalls? Here at CleanTechnica, we implemented a limited paywall for a while, but it always felt wrong — and it was always tough to decide what we should put behind there. In theory, your most exclusive and best content goes behind a paywall. But then fewer people read it! We just don't like paywalls, and so we've decided to ditch ours. Unfortunately, the media business is still a tough, cut-throat business with tiny margins. It's a never-ending Olympic challenge to stay above water or even perhaps — gasp — grow. So ...
If you like what we do and want to support us, please chip in a bit monthly via PayPal or Patreon to help our team do what we do! Thank you!
Written By

Zach is tryin' to help society help itself one word at a time. He spends most of his time here on CleanTechnica as its director, chief editor, and CEO. Zach is recognized globally as an electric vehicle, solar energy, and energy storage expert. He has presented about cleantech at conferences in India, the UAE, Ukraine, Poland, Germany, the Netherlands, the USA, Canada, and Curaçao. Zach has long-term investments in Tesla [TSLA], NIO [NIO], Xpeng [XPEV], Ford [F], ChargePoint [CHPT], Amazon [AMZN], Piedmont Lithium [PLL], Lithium Americas [LAC], Albemarle Corporation [ALB], Nouveau Monde Graphite [NMGRF], Talon Metals [TLOFF], Arclight Clean Transition Corp [ACTC], and Starbucks [SBUX]. But he does not offer (explicitly or implicitly) investment advice of any sort.


You May Also Like


Recently, we did a story about the 2023 NADA convention and goat roping in Dallas, where Slate correspondent Alexander Sammon got a chance to...


Global plugin vehicle registrations were up 70% in April 2023 compared to April 2022. There were 928,000 registrations, making it possibly the last month...


BYD topped the EV sales charts in Singapore in April. 121 BYDs were sold in April in Singapore, and it looks like BYD sales...


May saw France’s plugins take over 24% market share, up from 20.9% year on year, with new Stellantis BEVs arriving. Full electrics grew from...

Copyright © 2023 CleanTechnica. The content produced by this site is for entertainment purposes only. Opinions and comments published on this site may not be sanctioned by and do not necessarily represent the views of CleanTechnica, its owners, sponsors, affiliates, or subsidiaries.