Resident auto industry expert Maarten Vinkhuyzen got the heads up last year — Groupe PSA is awake and trying to make its way into the 21st century auto industry, the electric auto industry. They’ve been launching their electric offensive sort of quietly so far, but this past week just launched two more fairly hot passenger models from Citroën and Opel, following a couple of utilitarian electric vans from Citroën. I’ll run through the new electric Opel in a moment, but first let’s jump into the brand new Citroën, announced earlier today in France.
Today, Citroën launched one of the 6 electrified vehicles it is releasing in 2020, and this one is fully electric, the Citroën ë-C4. Somewhat interestingly, this was also the launch of the fully not-electric C4 (fueled by petrol or diesel), but Citroën focused heavily on the electric side of the lineup. (I guess large fines for causing innumerable health problems and premature death are effective.)
The ë-C4 has a range on a full charge of 350 km (217 miles), which is not too bad, just a bit less than my Tesla Model 3 SR+. The battery capacity, which starts at 50 kWh, is guaranteed to remain above 70% for 8 years or 160,000 km (99,419 miles).
It can charge at 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) a minute at a 100 kW or higher charging station, “a value at the best level in the segment,” which means it can be 80% charged in 30 minutes — not too shabby, just right for some light grocery shopping or a coffee. It can charge in 5 hours on an 11 kW home charging station, or can of course trickle charge on a normal electricity outlet.
“To make life easier for customers and enable them to enjoy their electric vehicle with faster charging times on a daily basis, Citroën takes care of everything and offers a ‘one-stop shop’ solution for installing a Wall Box at home.”
Naturally, the ë-C4 can be charged or charging can be scheduled via the My Citroën app if already plugged in.
The ë-C4 comes with a 100 kW (136 hp) electric motor, which will provide all the acceleration you can need thanks to its 260 Nm of instant torque. Here are a few more of the creature comforts in the Citroën ë-C4:
- Suspension with Progressive Hydraulic Cushions.
- Openable panoramic sunroof.
- 20 driving assistance technologies including Highway Driver Assist, a level 2 semi-autonomous driving system and the 6 connectivity technologies.
- The Smart Pad Support Citroën, a clever and unprecedented retractable support system as a World Premiere, solid, functional and directly built into the dashboard, to securely fix a tablet using two dedicated shells for Apple iPad Air 2 and Samsung Tab A 10.5’’, or a universal shell for other models, enabling the passenger to make the most of the time spent on board, right from the heart of the range.
- The Dashboard Tray, a large sliding drawer with a cushioned opening positioned in front of the passenger, with a special graphic anti-slip coating in black, to store and hold a tablet or any other object in place, in complete safety,
- A large glove box under the Dashboard Tray, deep and with cushioned opening.
- The high and wide centre console has been designed for maximum storage space:
- A large storage area in front of the console with an anti-slip dividing flap decorated with a black and grey graphic pattern, so that objects can be hidden under the flap and others can be kept within easy reach on top of the flap.
- An open wireless charging area for smartphone at the foot of the central front panel, combined with two USB sockets, one of which is Type C.
- A storage slot in front of the gear lever for various small items.
- A large central storage compartment with sliding closure, concealing two cup holders.
- Ample storage space under the front centre sliding armrest.
- For rear passengers:
- Cup holders and a storage slot in the rear seat’s fold-away armrest for items such as pens.
- Map pockets on the back of the front seats.
- All passengers also benefit from wide and deep front and rear door bins.
What do you think of this fully electric Citroën ë-C4, and Groupe PSA’s electric offensive in general? Catching the electric wave? Too little, too late? Electric hat trick?
The ë-C4 can likely be ordered later in the summer for delivery beginning in early 2021.