Below is one portion of our free report Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure: Guidelines for Cities. This report was produced by a working group of EV charging and electric vehicle leaders led by CleanTechnica and GreenWay. This portion of the report is simply a rundown of potential EV subsidies and incentives cities can use to stimulate and support electric vehicle adoption.
- Free parking for EVs citywide, downtown, or in select sectors of the city
- Free parking while charging
- Parking for EVs allowed in otherwise restricted areas
- Parking spaces reserved for EVs only
- Reduced parking fees for EVs in public lots
- EVs allowed when other vehicles banned (e.g., during smog alerts)
- Permitted into Congestion Charge Zones/ Umweltzonen, Zero Emission Zones, etc.
- Permission to use bus lanes, high occupancy vehicle lanes, and priority lanes
- Tax rebate on installation of EV home chargers
- Reduction in connection charges
- Local grants/incentives to support installation of home or workplace charge point
- Municipal support for installation of on-street charging points where off-street parking is limited
- Municipal requirement that commercial properties and/or workplaces install EV charging stations in a certain percentage of parking places
- Municipal requirement in building code that requires parking garage owners to install EV charging stations in a certain percentage of parking places
- Municipal requirement in building code that requires parking garage owners to allow tenants to install EV charging stations if they want to
- Municipal requirement in building code that requires parking garages to be “EV ready” by including proper wiring and power capacity within walls/floors/ceilings to eventually install EV charging stations
- Time-of-use pricing for EV charging that offers lower rates at certain times (i.e., off-peak times at night)
- Quick, streamlined EV charging station permitting
Direct Incentives for Vehicles:
- Direct subsidies for EV purchase or lease from local municipality or utility
- Exemption/reduction on local taxes for EV ownership, including road tax, registration tax, etc.
- Exemption from local use fees and tolls for EV owners
- Discount on electricity bill for ownership of EV
- Discounts for EV owners at other public activities — events, concerts, museums, etc.
Information and Encouragement:
- Informational website or webpage about electric vehicles
- Citywide EV plan or strategy
- Outreach and promotional events
Related: 10 EV Charging Tips For Cities — #CleanTechnica Presentation
Sign up for daily news updates from CleanTechnica on email. Or follow us on Google News!
Have a tip for CleanTechnica, want to advertise, or want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.
Former Tesla Battery Expert Leading Lyten Into New Lithium-Sulfur Battery Era — Podcast:
I don't like paywalls. You don't like paywalls. Who likes paywalls? Here at CleanTechnica, we implemented a limited paywall for a while, but it always felt wrong — and it was always tough to decide what we should put behind there. In theory, your most exclusive and best content goes behind a paywall. But then fewer people read it! We just don't like paywalls, and so we've decided to ditch ours. Unfortunately, the media business is still a tough, cut-throat business with tiny margins. It's a never-ending Olympic challenge to stay above water or even perhaps — gasp — grow. So ...