Published on March 17th, 2019 | by Zachary Shahan0
23 Electric Vehicle Incentives Cities Can Implement To Stimulate EV Adoption
March 17th, 2019 by Zachary Shahan
Below is one portion of our free report Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure: Guidelines for Cities. This report was produced by a working group of EV charging and electric vehicle leaders led by CleanTechnica and GreenWay. This portion of the report is simply a rundown of potential EV subsidies and incentives cities can use to stimulate and support electric vehicle adoption.
- Free parking for EVs citywide, downtown, or in select sectors of the city
- Free parking while charging
- Parking for EVs allowed in otherwise restricted areas
- Parking spaces reserved for EVs only
- Reduced parking fees for EVs in public lots
- EVs allowed when other vehicles banned (e.g., during smog alerts)
- Permitted into Congestion Charge Zones/ Umweltzonen, Zero Emission Zones, etc.
- Permission to use bus lanes, high occupancy vehicle lanes, and priority lanes
- Tax rebate on installation of EV home chargers
- Reduction in connection charges
- Local grants/incentives to support installation of home or workplace charge point
- Municipal support for installation of on-street charging points where off-street parking is limited
- Municipal requirement that commercial properties and/or workplaces install EV charging stations in a certain percentage of parking places
- Municipal requirement in building code that requires parking garage owners to install EV charging stations in a certain percentage of parking places
- Municipal requirement in building code that requires parking garage owners to allow tenants to install EV charging stations if they want to
- Municipal requirement in building code that requires parking garages to be “EV ready” by including proper wiring and power capacity within walls/floors/ceilings to eventually install EV charging stations
- Time-of-use pricing for EV charging that offers lower rates at certain times (i.e., off-peak times at night)
- Quick, streamlined EV charging station permitting
Direct Incentives for Vehicles:
- Direct subsidies for EV purchase or lease from local municipality or utility
- Exemption/reduction on local taxes for EV ownership, including road tax, registration tax, etc.
- Exemption from local use fees and tolls for EV owners
- Discount on electricity bill for ownership of EV
- Discounts for EV owners at other public activities — events, concerts, museums, etc.
Information and Encouragement:
- Informational website or webpage about electric vehicles
- Citywide EV plan or strategy
- Outreach and promotional events