You never know what may come across our desks here at CleanTechnica world headquarters. Just recently, we got an invitation to register for the “America First Energy Conference” hosted by the Heartland Institute on August 7 in New Orleans. But as much as we love The Big Easy and delight having Sunday brunch at the Court of Two Sisters, we probably won’t be attending this paean to the glories of fossil fuels this year. Those who do traipse on down to New Orleans to rub oily elbows with the muckety mucks of the industry will be treated to quite a show.
The official program notice tells you all you really need to know. “The purpose of this conference is to promote and expand energy freedom in the United States, which has become a keystone of President Trump’s economic agenda. The president’s plan marks a decisive change in direction from the Obama administration’s “war on fossil fuels” and focus on the theory of catastrophic man-caused climate change.”
Theory? You’re kidding, right? According to the Heartland Institute, which owes its existence to the Koch Brothers, global warming is just another theory cooked up by feckless scientists in order to keep their supply of government grants flowing. By their analysis, Newton and Einstein were just theoreticians, as were Galileo and Charles Darwin. And the sun really does revolve around the Earth.
The press notice continues with this self-congratulatory prose. “In addition to last year’s America First Energy Conference, The Heartland Institute has hosted 12 International Conferences on Climate Change that have featured programs with some 300 leading scientists, economists, policy experts, and elected officials who are skeptical that human use of fossil fuels are causing a global climate crisis.”(Emphasis added. Improper grammar in original text because, you know, subject/verb agreement is just a theory English teachers use to torture students.)
Some featured topics include:
- The Future of Coal, Oil, and Natural Gas
- Fueling Freedom and Prosperity
- CAFE Standards: Why They Need to Go
- Reforming EPA: Lots of Progress, More to Do
- Climate Lawsuits Against Energy Companies
- Why CO2 Emissions Are Not Creating a Climate Crisis
- Carbon Taxes, Cap & Trade, and Other Bad Ideas
- Fiduciary Malpractice: The ‘Sustainable’ Investment Movement
Featured speakers will include:
- Myron Ebell, Competitive Enterprise Institute
- Kathleen Hartnett White, Texas Public Policy Institute
- Amy Oliver Cooke, Independence Institiute
- Ken Cuccinelli, former Virginia Attorney General
- Peter Ferrara, The Heartland Institute
- Jason Funes, Department of the Interior
- Jeff Landry, Attorney General of Louisiana
- David Legates, Ph.D., University of Delaware
- Joe Leimkuhler, LLOG
- Steve Milloy, Junkscience.com
- Craig Richardson, Energy & Environment Legal Institute
- Roy Spencer, University of Alabama at Huntsville
- Greg Walcher, Former Secretary, CO Dept. of Natural Resources
- Benjamin Zycher, Ph.D., American Enterprise Institute
Ebell, White, Cooke, and Milloy all served on Trump’s transition team, those fun folks who gave us Scott Pruitt, Ryan Zinke, Betsy DeVos, Ben Carson, Rex Tillerson, and all the other deplorables and incompetents who make up Trump’s cabinet. This one should be a barn burner, folks. Get your tickets early. You won’t want to miss the part where they burn Barack Obama in effigy right after Scott Pruitt receives his Lifetime Achievement award!
Have a tip for CleanTechnica? Want to advertise? Want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.
Our Latest EVObsession Video
CleanTechnica uses affiliate links. See our policy here.