Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?


Clean Transport

Volkswagen’s Electrify America Program Will See Installation Of EV Chargers At Over 100 Walmart Stores Throughout USA

As part of its settlement agreement with the US government in relation to the diesel vehicle emissions scandal, Volkswagen was ordered to put $2 billion into the development of electric vehicle charging stations throughout the country.

Owing to that settlement, Volkswagen created a new unit dubbed “Electrify America” that was dedicated to just such a course of action. That unit has now announced that it will be installing new plug-in electric vehicle charging stations at over 100 Walmart stores throughout the USA, in relation to the settlement and following on earlier buildouts.

To be more specific, the plan is apparently for Walmart stores in 34 different US states to get new electric vehicle (EV) charging stations by the middle of 2019.

“We recognize that electric vehicles are going to grow and become more relevant,” commented Mark Vanderhelm, the vice president for energy at Walmart, in an interview with Reuters. “We are trying to get out in front of that.”

That coverage provides more: “The Walmart charging stations are part of a broader Electrify America project to install 2,000 chargers at nearly 500 charging stations across the country by June 2019. Wayne Killen, Electrify America’s senior director for infrastructure, said that 80% of the Walmart charging stations would be at store locations alongside highways, while the remaining 20% would be in metro areas.

“Killen said the highway locations will primarily provide chargers for trips between US cities but also cross-country journeys along Interstate 10 between Santa Monica, California and Jacksonville, Florida, plus Interstate 80 that runs from San Francisco and Teaneck, New Jersey.”

Electrifying America map.

The new Walmart-based EV charging stations will reportedly feature 4–10 chargers each — presumably enough to allow for a number of open chargers at most times, even when vehicles are left there for a fair while. Some of these chargers, though, will reportedly be fast chargers.

I don't like paywalls. You don't like paywalls. Who likes paywalls? Here at CleanTechnica, we implemented a limited paywall for a while, but it always felt wrong — and it was always tough to decide what we should put behind there. In theory, your most exclusive and best content goes behind a paywall. But then fewer people read it! We just don't like paywalls, and so we've decided to ditch ours. Unfortunately, the media business is still a tough, cut-throat business with tiny margins. It's a never-ending Olympic challenge to stay above water or even perhaps — gasp — grow. So ...
If you like what we do and want to support us, please chip in a bit monthly via PayPal or Patreon to help our team do what we do! Thank you!
Sign up for daily news updates from CleanTechnica on email. Or follow us on Google News!

Have a tip for CleanTechnica, want to advertise, or want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.

Written By

James Ayre's background is predominantly in geopolitics and history, but he has an obsessive interest in pretty much everything. After an early life spent in the Imperial Free City of Dortmund, James followed the river Ruhr to Cofbuokheim, where he attended the University of Astnide. And where he also briefly considered entering the coal mining business. He currently writes for a living, on a broad variety of subjects, ranging from science, to politics, to military history, to renewable energy.


You May Also Like

Clean Transport

Volkswagen reached a $14.7 billion settlement in 2016 to resolve the claims arising from its diesel emissions cheating scandal, also known as Dieselgate. The...


In a couple of news releases, Hyundai and Electrify America announced free charging for new Ioniq 6 owners and Hyundai told us more about...

Clean Transport

As we’ve explained before, the future isn’t as bright for CHAdeMO cars as it is for CCS cars. Electrify America isn’t building any new...


There’s an interesting geographical oddity for CCS drivers in southern New Mexico. If you want to drive to Phoenix, Arizona, it’s not that hard....

Copyright © 2023 CleanTechnica. The content produced by this site is for entertainment purposes only. Opinions and comments published on this site may not be sanctioned by and do not necessarily represent the views of CleanTechnica, its owners, sponsors, affiliates, or subsidiaries.