Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

CleanTechnica

Clean Transport

Volkswagen To Install 2,800 EV Charging Stations In US By June 2019

Volkswagen’s Electrify America unit will have installed 2,800 plug-in electric vehicle charging “stations” in the US by June 2019, if newly revealed plans are to be taken at face value.

Volkswagen’s Electrify America unit will have installed 2,800 plug-in electric vehicle charging “stations” in the US by June 2019, if newly revealed plans are to be taken at face value.

I put “stations” in quotes here because these “stations” will be spread across just 500 or so sites — so it sounds as though what’s being referred to here are individual charging poles (whether they can charge more than one car at a time or not).

These electric vehicle (EV) charging stations will be located in 17 of the biggest cities in the US, with about 75% of them to be situated in common workplaces and the other 25% to be located in dense residential areas (apartments complexes, parking garages, etc.).

This EV charging station buildout follows the earlier agreement that Volkswagen execs made with US regulators as part of a settlement in relation to the diesel vehicle emissions cheating scandal. As per that agreement, Volkswagen will be spending $2 billion in the US on the development of clean car plans — with $800 million to be spent in California.

“One of the biggest barriers to the mass-market adoption of electric vehicles is access to chargers,” commented Mark McNabb, CEO of Electrify America.

Interestingly, Electrify America management has chosen for the new EV charging stations to be installed by EV Connect, SemaConnect, and Greenlots. Interesting choices … since that doesn’t include the two biggest non-Tesla EV fast charging networks (ChargePoint and EVgo).

“There hasn’t been a significant catalyst yet for ramping up the number of charging stations,” stated Scott Fisher, Greenlots’ vice president of market development, in an interview with Reuters. “This is an unprecedented opportunity to help create the electric vehicle infrastructure we need across the US.”

Notably, though, it’s an opportunity that’s only come about because of a company’s willingness to poison mass quantities of people in order to save a few bucks. And, perhaps more importantly, to not even make that much of an effort to hide the fact (not a competent one, anyways).

On that note, Volkswagen exec Oliver Schmidt was recently sentenced to 7 years in prison for his part in the diesel vehicle emissions testing cheating scandal. A large number of other Volkswagen execs are currently wanted by authorities in the US as well, but as they are essentially hiding out in Germany and that country won’t extradite its citizens, they are unlikely to ever face justice in the US.

 
Appreciate CleanTechnica’s originality and cleantech news coverage? Consider becoming a CleanTechnica Member, Supporter, Technician, or Ambassador — or a patron on Patreon.
 

Don't want to miss a cleantech story? Sign up for daily news updates from CleanTechnica on email. Or follow us on Google News!
 

Have a tip for CleanTechnica, want to advertise, or want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.
Advertisement
 
Written By

James Ayre's background is predominantly in geopolitics and history, but he has an obsessive interest in pretty much everything. After an early life spent in the Imperial Free City of Dortmund, James followed the river Ruhr to Cofbuokheim, where he attended the University of Astnide. And where he also briefly considered entering the coal mining business. He currently writes for a living, on a broad variety of subjects, ranging from science, to politics, to military history, to renewable energy.

Comments

You May Also Like

Agriculture

Planting trees is good, planting trees with pinpoint accuracy on carbon is better, and Ctrees has the numbers to help prevent bad actors from...

Clean Power

If all goes according to plan, the Ford pilot test could open the door to a whole new fleet of fuel cell trucks for...

Clean Transport

When I went to the Grand Canyon in 2019 and again in 2021, I was a little surprised at all of the Teslas I...

Energy Storage

The Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 is already sparking new activity in the energy storage field, with Goldman Sachs and Cleanhill Partners in the...

Copyright © 2021 CleanTechnica. The content produced by this site is for entertainment purposes only. Opinions and comments published on this site may not be sanctioned by and do not necessarily represent the views of CleanTechnica, its owners, sponsors, affiliates, or subsidiaries.