Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

CleanTechnica

Cars

BMW & Tesla Have Stellar Electric Car Sales Month & Year (December Sales Report)

Originally published on EV Obsession.

US electric car sales Dec 2015Following my slightly premature highlighting of Tesla crushing the electric car competition, here’s my full electric car sales report for December and 2015 as a whole.

There’s not a whole lot more to add. However, aside from Tesla having a stellar month and year, BMW also stood out as a shining example of electric car sales growth.

The BMW i3 was the third-best-selling electric car in the US in December (up 40% compared to a year prior), and 4th for the year as a whole (up 81% compared to a year prior). The BMW i8, meanwhile, outsold all but 5 electric cars in December despite it’s $136,000 and up price tag!! With 656 sales, it was up 315% over December 2014. For the year as a whole, it still landed a respectable #11.

A new arrival, the BMW X5 xDrive 40e also fared quite well. With 607 sales in December, it accounted for 5% of the electric car market. Not a bad start, and surely helped a little bit by the Tesla Model X’s long production delay. I’m curious to see how sales develop in the coming year — will they rise much higher, stay around the same, or drop down a bit?

In the end, for 2015 as a whole, the Tesla Model S accounted for a whopping 23% of the electric car market, the Nissan LEAF accounted for 15%, the Chevy Volt accounted for 13%, and the BMW i3 accounted for 9%. The Ford Fusion Energi (8%) and Ford C-Max Energi (7%) together accounted for 15% of the market. Together, Tesla (23%), GM (16%), Ford (16%), Nissan (15%), and BMW (12%) dominate the US electric car sales market (82% combined). Whether or not Volkswagen, Audi, Volvo, Hyundai, or others will get serious and challenge the top spots this year, we’ll have to wait and see, but the story has been pretty straightforward for the past ~1.5 years.

Here are the charts and table for more info:

US EV Sales 2015 - December complete

 
Don't want to miss a cleantech story? Sign up for daily news updates from CleanTechnica on email. Or follow us on Google News!
 

Have a tip for CleanTechnica, want to advertise, or want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.
Advertisement
 
 

Written By

Zach is tryin' to help society help itself one word at a time. He spends most of his time here on CleanTechnica as its director, chief editor, and CEO. Zach is recognized globally as an electric vehicle, solar energy, and energy storage expert. He has presented about cleantech at conferences in India, the UAE, Ukraine, Poland, Germany, the Netherlands, the USA, Canada, and Curaçao. Zach has long-term investments in Tesla [TSLA], NIO [NIO], Xpeng [XPEV], Ford [F], ChargePoint [CHPT], Amazon [AMZN], Piedmont Lithium [PLL], Lithium Americas [LAC], Albemarle Corporation [ALB], Nouveau Monde Graphite [NMGRF], Talon Metals [TLOFF], Arclight Clean Transition Corp [ACTC], and Starbucks [SBUX]. But he does not offer (explicitly or implicitly) investment advice of any sort.

Comments

You May Also Like

Cars

Germany saw plugin electric vehicle (EV) share at a low ebb in January, just 15.1%, from 21.6% year on year. The one-off low result...

Cars

Following up on our stories about the best selling plugin vehicles in the world and the automotive brands that sell the most plugin electric...

Cars

After looking at the top selling plugin vehicle models of 2022 across the world, let’s look at the auto brands that sold the most...

Cars

The last months of 2022 brought a record-fest for world plugin vehicle sales, with 3 months out of the last 4 setting new sales...

Copyright © 2023 CleanTechnica. The content produced by this site is for entertainment purposes only. Opinions and comments published on this site may not be sanctioned by and do not necessarily represent the views of CleanTechnica, its owners, sponsors, affiliates, or subsidiaries.