Originally published on EV Obsession.
The media response to the Tesla Model X has been overwhelmingly positive. And reservations/pre-orders have also reportedly jumped since the launch, despite having to wait ~1 year to get one. People love this electric SUV/crossover. And why not?! The X:
- is the safest SUV/CUV on the planet (including having a fun and somewhat amazing bioweapons defense filter)
- is the quickest SUV/CUV on the planet
- is probably the quietest SUV/CUV on the planet
- has ridiculously awesome and useful falcon-wing doors (again, useful if your concern is the people in the back seat, not large pieces of cargo)
- has automatically opening driver-seat doors
- has really nice 2nd- and 3rd-row seats where passengers can stick their stuff under the seat instead of in the spot for their feet.
- has a wicked panoramic windshield that is like to “wow” as much as “Ludicrous mode”
- and fights global warming, air pollution, and oil wars.
Those are 8 benefits, and I would say huge benefits, over any other SUV on the market. Elon said at a SolarCity event yesterday that the X had seen a “big uptick in reservations.”
But the X isn’t the only one benefiting.
While many were concerned the Model X would cannibalize Model S sales to an extent, it seems the opposite is happening, and in retrospect, that actually makes a lot of sense. There are a ton of people who still aren’t aware of the Model S. When they see the cool falcon-wing doors on the Model X and then shoot over to Tesla’s website to consider ordering one, they are faced with a few things:
- Deliveries for new Model X reservations reportedly won’t start until the second half of 2016.
- You have to put down $5,000 and then just wait.
- The current Model X options (90D and P90D) are much more expensive than the lower-end Model S options (70 and 70D)
- The Model S has many of the same awesome benefits as the Model X (and it’s actually quicker, has more range, and can transport longer items within the car).
So, it makes since that increased consumer awareness because of the Model X would trickle over (or surge over) into Model S sales.
This Model X is simply amazing, and so much better than anything else on the market in so many ways, but the Model S is also amazing and better than any other premium sedan on the market — so says Consumer Reports, owners, Car & Driver, Motor Trend, me, and thousands or millions of others.
- Over 30,000 Pre-Orders For Tesla Model X
- Initial Tesla Model X Videos
- Tesla Model Xs Recognize Each Other, Model 3 Or Model Y Will Have Falcon-Wing Doors, & Other Elon Tweets
- Funny Elon Musk, Tesla Model X Air Filter, & Volkswagen Meme
- Tesla Model X Road Tripping With Steve Jurvetson & Bubba Murarka
- Tesla Model X Unveiling — Live Blogging & Tweeting On
- Tesla’s Model X Page Updated With New Pics & Info
Don't want to miss a cleantech story? Sign up for daily news updates from CleanTechnica on email. Or follow us on Google News!
Have a tip for CleanTechnica, want to advertise, or want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.