Published on September 29th, 2015 | by James Ayre91
Danish TV Interviews Tesla CEO Elon Musk
September 29th, 2015 by James Ayre
Originally published on EV Obsession.
Update: This article has been updated to put some comments in better context.
With deliveries of the Tesla Model X SUV finally (after a very long wait) set to begin in a few hours, what’s next for the company? That’s the question many — especially Model S owners and soon-to-be owners — are asking themself. Well, of course, there’s the Model 3 unveiling currently set for next year; there’s the ongoing work at the Gigafactory construction site; there’s the ongoing work on the company’s autonomous-driving technologies; and, also, there’s the somewhat recently unveiled battery line (Tesla Energy).
That’s all quite a lot on its own, but a recent interview that Elon Musk gave on Danish television had plenty of extra comments on such topics and more.
On thing Musk noted, when prompted, was that a Model S could achieve a range of 1,200 kilometers (745 miles) to be achievable by 2020, amongst other things.
But this is based on extreme cases of record-breaking attempts. Musk commented that the current distance record for the Model S currently stands at over 700 kilometers (achieved by traveling the whole trip at 25 miles per hour).
Here’s a highlight of some of the other interesting comments made by Musk in the interview:
- He wants to be selling 500,000 EVs a year by 2020.
- He expects autopilot autonomous features to be available by that date.
- While the technology is now simply in Beta testing, a “wide release” won’t have too long to wait.
- While the technology will at first be limited to an automated-passing function, he’s aiming for the creation of a fully-autonomous system. He expects this to be possible within only 3 years, though regulatory hurdles may delay legalization for a few additional years.
- “If civilization still exists” 20 years from now, Musk thinks that most new cars will be completely autonomous, and many of these will be EVs.
Follow CleanTechnica on Google News.
It will make you happy & help you live in peace for the rest of your life.