Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

CleanTechnica

Nuclear Energy

How Risky is it For Germany to Shutter its Nuclear?


An informative piece by Feed-in Tariff expert Paul Gipe, writing at Energy Bulletin, has some interesting data that suggests that Germany might manage without nuclear, that currently supplies 22% of its electricity.

Last week, in reaction to the nuclear power plant damage Japan sustained after the 9.0 earthquake and catastrophic tsunami, Chancellor Angela Merkel closed two reactors permanently, and another five temporarily, cutting off five of the seventeen reactors in the country.

Germany is as power hungry as Texas, and closing these nuclear plants seemed to be a bold step, and one that would seem to risk stepping backwards into the far worse problems long term that come from coal-fired power.

Not every advocate of a clean energy future agrees with me (See Zach’s “My thoughts on Nuclear”) but I think coal is much more deadly, harming human health both every single day that it’s in operation, and also over the long term, because the increasing climate change that its daily operation is causing will become truly catastrophic over the next 100,000 years. Cutting back on nuclear too soon, even with its risks (and its very nasty astroturf trolls) risks climate change.

Despite its tremendous growth in renewable energy, like the average state in the US, Germany gets 43% of its electricity from coal. Although it is growing wind, biomass and solar fast, currently that is just 6.2%, 5.6% and 2% respectively of the total it needs. Together with Hydro, Gipe’s figures show that German renewables totaled 17% in 2010, just short of the 19% that California gets (which does not include hydro) and well short of of the 20% that Iowa gets from just wind alone (although Iowa is much less populated of course).

Where Germany differs from California is that it has easily far exceeded the 12% by 2010 goal it had set, by getting 17%, mostly with Feed-in Tariffs that reward renewables. California, by contrast, is not yet at the 20% by 2010 goal it had set, although contracts have been signed for it.

So it is quite a gap to fill, as almost a quarter of its electricity comes from nuclear. But it turns out that this wass already in the planning.

Although it looks as if they might have to replace some of the nuclear budget earlier, in fact Germany was already on a path to adding more renewable power and shuttering nuclear plants anyway. With a vociferous opposition, Germany had already planned to eliminate all nuclear power by 2036 anyway, and ending civil usage even earlier – by 2020 under the Nuclear Exit Law.

Image: Greenpeace

Susan Kraemer@Twitter

 
Appreciate CleanTechnica’s originality? Consider becoming a CleanTechnica Member, Supporter, Technician, or Ambassador — or a patron on Patreon.
 
 

Advertisement
 
Have a tip for CleanTechnica, want to advertise, or want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.

Written By

writes at CleanTechnica, CSP-Today and Renewable Energy World.  She has also been published at Wind Energy Update, Solar Plaza, Earthtechling PV-Insider , and GreenProphet, Ecoseed, NRDC OnEarth, MatterNetwork, Celsius, EnergyNow, and Scientific American. As a former serial entrepreneur in product design, Susan brings an innovator's perspective on inventing a carbon-constrained civilization: If necessity is the mother of invention, solving climate change is the mother of all necessities! As a lover of history and sci-fi, she enjoys chronicling the strange future we are creating in these interesting times.    Follow Susan on Twitter @dotcommodity.

Comments

You May Also Like

Clean Power

In the first part of this series, I projected and explained the plummeting hydrogen demand from petroleum refining and fertilizer, the biggest sources of...

Aviation

Hydrogen demand today is two-thirds for petroleum refining and fertilizer manufacturing. Both of those uses are going to drop precipitously in the coming decades,...

Cars

Volkswagen ID.3 beats Tesla Model 3 in August in Germany

Air Quality

In the end, the laws of thermodynamics will win. Hype doesn’t stand a chance against reality in the long term. The $39 trillion in...

Copyright © 2021 CleanTechnica. The content produced by this site is for entertainment purposes only. Opinions and comments published on this site may not be sanctioned by and do not necessarily represent the views of CleanTechnica, its owners, sponsors, affiliates, or subsidiaries.