Published on September 16th, 2010 | by Zachary Shahan4
Polar Bear Commercial [VIDEO]
September 16th, 2010 by Zachary Shahan
Have you seen this excellent, beautiful, and clever Nissan LEAFTM commercial yet? I just watched it, and as you can tell from my question, I am a fan. It nails several key issues:
- It connects to people’s sense of empathy and care, by showing a beautiful, homeless polar bear;
- It doesn’t ignore the issue of climate change (with plenty of proof and scientific consensus on this issue, it’s time to stop ignoring that global warming is happening);
- It is beautifully shot, something to admire.
I also love what Joe Romm of Climate Progress made sure to mention: “Nissan ran this on Thursday’s National Football League opener, which featured the New Orleans Saints, the closest thing we have to America’s team thanks to Hurricane Katrina. Coincidence? I think not.”
The lessons I hope other companies (and politicians) take from this are:
- As I said above, it is time to stop ignoring the reality and the effects global warming;
- If they don’t address global warming, someone else will (and is likely to benefit greatly from doing so). In other words, if you’re worried about others capitalizing on the inevitable changes coming as a result of climate change and peak oil, get your act together and out-compete them in fast-growing clean tech markets.
- Global warming doesn’t have to be a negative issue that makes you cringe. Turn this problem on its head — look at and get involved in the solutions to it.
Any other thoughts on this commercial? Love it? Like it? Meh? Hate it?
Follow CleanTechnica on Google News.
It will make you happy & help you live in peace for the rest of your life.