Many green industry professionals and career changers are interested in clean tech conferences and alternative energy events. You can find many upcoming green tech events and clean energy conferences in the United States and worldwide in the CleanTechies Events Calendar, but how do you make the most out of your attendance? No matter whether it’s an event on energy efficiency, solar energy, wind energy, green building or sustainable transportation, there are a few things common to each that will help YOU make your participation a success.
Just in time for your next clean tech event or alternative energy conference, here are our tips:
1) Have a game plan. Most events are overwhelming, and trying to find someone at the event is often impossible. That’s why it’s imperative that you reach out at least two weeks in advance of the event to target the top three people you’d like to have ten minutes with.
2) Talk into the microphone and identify yourself. When you ask a question from the audience, it’s time to brand yourself and your company. Nothing makes a worse impression than someone who doesn’t give their name and company, mumbles and has not formulated a question. Oh, and make sure you ask a QUESTION. Leave the monologues to super villains.
3) Swallow the microphone. Many people are afraid of the sound of their own voice. They believe that holding the microphone around their waist or leaning back in their chair while talking on a panel somehow insulates them from the impact of their words. Wrong. If you have something to say, make sure everyone hears it.
4) Make friends with the people running the conference. They have a master list of emails and phone numbers, and probably know a lot of the attendees on sight. They can make connecting with the right person so much easier.
5) The most powerful word is “hello.” It’s usually all you need when meeting someone to get their attention. We’ve seen it work wonders with strangers.
6) Have a business card conveniently ready. Digging through your briefcase, purse, satchel or suit sends a message about how you’ll handle a project. And it’s not a pretty message.
Sign up for daily news updates from CleanTechnica on email. Or follow us on Google News!
Have a tip for CleanTechnica, want to advertise, or want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.
Former Tesla Battery Expert Leading Lyten Into New Lithium-Sulfur Battery Era — Podcast:
I don't like paywalls. You don't like paywalls. Who likes paywalls? Here at CleanTechnica, we implemented a limited paywall for a while, but it always felt wrong — and it was always tough to decide what we should put behind there. In theory, your most exclusive and best content goes behind a paywall. But then fewer people read it! We just don't like paywalls, and so we've decided to ditch ours. Unfortunately, the media business is still a tough, cut-throat business with tiny margins. It's a never-ending Olympic challenge to stay above water or even perhaps — gasp — grow. So ...