Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?


Baby Power! U.K. Companies Convert Diapers to Energy

Versus Energy and Knowaste are building a recycling plant in Birmingham, England that will generate energy from used diapers.In a move that fairly reeks with symbolism, The U.K. companies Versus Energy and Knowaste have teamed up to build the first diaper recycling plant in England, and it will be located in a region that was once the heart of the Industrial Revolution.  The new recycling plant will power itself with sustainable energy generated from the organic materials recovered from disposable diapers.


Organic waste accounts for only 2% of the materials in “pre-owned” disposable diapers.  What happens to the other 98%?  It will be dried, sterilized, and separated into reusable paper pulp and plastic.  The end use of those materials has not yet been announced but based on Knowaste’s past experience, roof tiles, shoe insoles, wallpaper, plastic “wood,” and industrial thickeners are likely candidates.

Move Over, Coal: Here Come the Diapers

The new recycling plant will be located in the town of West Bromwich in Birmingham, in the Black Coal country that was a center of the Industrial Revolution in England.  With the new recycling plant, West Bromwich is leading the way to a new green revolution that focuses on sustainable fuels and reusable products rather than the dig, consume, and dispose model of a bygone era.

The Worldwide Challenge of Diaper Recycling

Knowaste calls it a worldwide challenge, and they should know.  The company focuses on tackling “difficult” waste, and that includes diapers, bedliners, feminine hygiene products, incontinence products used by adults and the disabled, and related waste from hospitals.  With a rising, aging global population and the prospect of developing countries bringing more consumers into the disposable product fold, this waste stream will soon become a torrent.

The Future of Diaper Recyling

It should be noted that some form of diaper-to-energy recycling already takes place in municipalities that use waste-to-energy incinerators.  CleanTech Biofuels is one U.S. company that is taking it to the next level with a waste-to-ethanol facility.  The full recycling model of Knowaste’s approach brings disposable diapers and other related products even closer to a more sustainable diaper model of multiple re-using and repurposing.

Image: redjar on

I don't like paywalls. You don't like paywalls. Who likes paywalls? Here at CleanTechnica, we implemented a limited paywall for a while, but it always felt wrong — and it was always tough to decide what we should put behind there. In theory, your most exclusive and best content goes behind a paywall. But then fewer people read it! We just don't like paywalls, and so we've decided to ditch ours. Unfortunately, the media business is still a tough, cut-throat business with tiny margins. It's a never-ending Olympic challenge to stay above water or even perhaps — gasp — grow. So ...
If you like what we do and want to support us, please chip in a bit monthly via PayPal or Patreon to help our team do what we do! Thank you!
Sign up for daily news updates from CleanTechnica on email. Or follow us on Google News!

Have a tip for CleanTechnica, want to advertise, or want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.

Written By

Tina specializes in military and corporate sustainability, advanced technology, emerging materials, biofuels, and water and wastewater issues. Views expressed are her own. Follow her on Twitter @TinaMCasey and Google+.


You May Also Like

Clean Transport

Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg on Thursday launched a $1 billion first-of-its-kind pilot program. The program is aimed at helping reconnect cities and neighborhoods racially...

Consumer Technology

Humans generate a remarkable amount of garbage: over 2 billion tons per year. Can startups help to alleviate this problem? Are home recycling devices...

Policy & Politics

Exxon is the target of new claims that Big Oil has hidden what it knows about plastics and pollution for decades.


Profits masked as safety concerns make plastic packaging rampant in the food and beverage industry. Unfortunately, there is no one-fits-all solution to sustainable packaging.

Copyright © 2023 CleanTechnica. The content produced by this site is for entertainment purposes only. Opinions and comments published on this site may not be sanctioned by and do not necessarily represent the views of CleanTechnica, its owners, sponsors, affiliates, or subsidiaries.