Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

CleanTechnica

Aviation

US Army Plans To Deploy Hybrid Spy Ship Over Afghanistan

By 2011 the US Army’s Space & Missile Defense Command has plans to deploy a spy ship, which will be unmanned over Afghanistan. While this is a controversial move in itself, some eco-enthusiasts are applauding the consideration to model the aircraft after an experimental hybrid airship which took flight on a number of occasions in 2006.

The autonomous airship, which will be based on a model created by Lockheed Martin is a Long Endurance Multi-Intelligence Vehicle (LEMV) called the P-791, will be 250 feet in length, double the size of the original prototype and will have the capability of remaining buoyant in space, while unmanned for up to 3 weeks and 20,000 feet. The cockpit of the airship will be 40 feet long, 15 feet wide and 6 to 8 feet tall and will likely a contain a ground moving target indication radar, a wide motion imagery sensor and other intelligence devices; the tools of the trade necessary for any covert surveillance operation.

A contract will be awarded to begin development of the aircraft this year, which will model the original LEMV which was classified as hybrid as 80% of its ability to remain airborne is based strictly on buoyancy. The remaining 20% of its power is generated by six thrusters which are electrically powered by a central turbo generator, giving the aircraft the propulsion it needs to get to 20,000 feet.

If spy ships can go green, there surely has to be hope for the rest of the world!

Via: Aviation Week

 
 
 
Appreciate CleanTechnica’s originality and cleantech news coverage? Consider becoming a CleanTechnica Member, Supporter, Technician, or Ambassador — or a patron on Patreon.
 

Don't want to miss a cleantech story? Sign up for daily news updates from CleanTechnica on email. Or follow us on Google News!
 

Have a tip for CleanTechnica, want to advertise, or want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.
Advertisement
 
Comments

You May Also Like

Cars

Electric vehicles could soon be roaring around the track at a NASCAR venue near you, and Ford is already jockeying for the pole position.

Policy & Politics

The decision by the US Supreme Court last week to overturn Roe vs Wade has ignited a blistering debate. America’s religious fundamentalists are giddy...

Autonomous Vehicles

Update: Ring reached out to me to offer some important corrections to some of what I wrote below. The company wants us all to...

Clean Transport

Electric vehicle fans cried foul over the dim showing for EVs in the new US Postal Service delivery truck contract, but Oshkosh Defense may...

Copyright © 2022 CleanTechnica. The content produced by this site is for entertainment purposes only. Opinions and comments published on this site may not be sanctioned by and do not necessarily represent the views of CleanTechnica, its owners, sponsors, affiliates, or subsidiaries.