Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?


Air Quality

Dry Cleaning: How Safe is that Suit?

perc, dry cleaner, dry cleaning safety, hazardous chemicals, air quality

The chemical perchloroethylene (or “perc”) might not ring a bell, but it is likely be found in your home. Considered by the EPA to be both a health and environmental hazard, it is a solvent used by most dry cleaners across the country for more than 70 years. It is shown to cause liver cancer and can even harm the central nervous system in lab animals.

When clothes are cleaned with perc, they will actually off-gas this substance into the air. It most commonly enters the body through the air, but can also be absorbed through the skin or found in drinking water.

“When you go and pick up that bag and bring it home, you still have perchloroethylene off-gassing or coming off the clothes,” said Melanie Marty of the California EPA. “You don’t want something in widespread use that’s been shown to be a carcinogen.”

Is it necessary to use toxic chemicals to get our clothes “clean”? Before you get too depressed, let’s examine some solutions.

Policy Changes

California passed a ban to phase out the use of perc by 2023. Although this is certainly a step in the right direction, most of us don’t live in California and don’t want to wait 15 years to clean a suit or suede coat.

Hand Washing

Many clothes that are labeled “dry clean only” can in fact be hand washed, especially if some tricks are applied. This also saves the hassle and cost of taking garments to the cleaners.

“Green” Cleaners

Although 85% of dry cleaners use perc, what about the other 15%? Many of them use a process called wet cleaning. This process uses a small amount of water and detergent within a machine that is programmed to adapt to the garment. This process is considered effective and safe, while using less water and energy compared to traditional dry cleaning.

Liquid carbon dioxide cleaning uses pressurized liquid CO2 and other cleaning agents instead of perc. Liquid CO2 becomes a liquid solvent under high pressure and dissolved dirt and oils from clothing. This method is not common because the cost of the needed machinery is $40,000. The CO2 itself however is a byproduct of some industrial processes and is cheap, plentiful, and non toxic.

To find a cleaner in your area, visit the Occidental College database. It can also be helpful to speak with your local cleaner and let them know that there is a demand for safer alternatives to perc. The future ban in California will also help push the industry as a whole towards safer alternatives, so change may be on the horizon.

I don't like paywalls. You don't like paywalls. Who likes paywalls? Here at CleanTechnica, we implemented a limited paywall for a while, but it always felt wrong — and it was always tough to decide what we should put behind there. In theory, your most exclusive and best content goes behind a paywall. But then fewer people read it! We just don't like paywalls, and so we've decided to ditch ours. Unfortunately, the media business is still a tough, cut-throat business with tiny margins. It's a never-ending Olympic challenge to stay above water or even perhaps — gasp — grow. So ...
If you like what we do and want to support us, please chip in a bit monthly via PayPal or Patreon to help our team do what we do! Thank you!
Sign up for daily news updates from CleanTechnica on email. Or follow us on Google News!

Have a tip for CleanTechnica, want to advertise, or want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.

Written By

is passionate about the new green economy and renewable energy. Sarah's experience includes work with small-scale solar energy installations and utility-scale wind farms. She earned an MBA in sustainable management from the Presidio Graduate School and is a co-founder of Trees Across the Miles, an urban reforestation initiative. When she can escape the internet vortex, she enjoys playing in the forest, paddling down rivers, or twisting into yoga poses.


You May Also Like

Clean Power

Steel, like concrete, is such an integral part of our world that we rarely notice it. From wherever you are reading this, I guarantee...

Clean Power

We've mined enormous amounts of iron and coal in order to build infrastructure to extract, process, refine, and distribute fossil fuels, and we're going...

Climate Change

Wucker's work is much more read and attended to in Asia than in the west. Short-termism and individualism has reached its nadir in too...

Clean Power

Electrification and heat pumps radically reduce the requirement to build new wind, solar, nuclear, hydro, and geothermal primary energy sources.

Copyright © 2023 CleanTechnica. The content produced by this site is for entertainment purposes only. Opinions and comments published on this site may not be sanctioned by and do not necessarily represent the views of CleanTechnica, its owners, sponsors, affiliates, or subsidiaries.