Published on April 4th, 2014 | by Amber Archangel0
Solar Decathlon 2015 Dates Set and New Team Lineup (Video)
April 4th, 2014 by Amber Archangel
The dates for the 2015 Solar Decathlon international competition that will be held at the Orange County Great Park in Irvine, California have been set for October 8–18. The Solar Decathlon village will be open for visitors — FREE OF CHARGE — for two, four-day weekends.
There is a change in the participants for the event; the team of Oregon Institute of Technology and Portland State University, as well as Team Michigan (Lansing Community College, Kendall College of Art and Design, and Ferris State University), will not be building solar houses for the competition. The full stories from the U.S. Department of Energy follow:
Preview of Documentary, ‘Power Houses,’ about the Solar Decathlon
Enjoy this preview of the City of Irvine’s full-length documentary of the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon 2013 and XPO, held last October at the Orange County Great Park in Irvine, CA.
Fans of the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon, take note: Solar Decathlon 2015 will be held October 8–18, 2015, at the Orange County Great Park in Irvine, California.
The Solar Decathlon competition houses will be open to visitors from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily on eight days over two weekends:
- Thursday, October 8–Sunday, October 11, 2015
- Thursday, October 15–Sunday, October 18, 2015.
The remaining dates, the Solar Decathlon village will be closed for competition activities.
This is your opportunity to tour the highly efficient, solar-powered houses designed, built, and operated by the Solar Decathlon collegiate teams. Talk to the students, gather ideas to use in your own home, and learn about energy-saving features and products that can help you save money. Mark your calendars now, and start planning your visit today!
Solar decathletes charge to begin assembly at the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon 2013 | Photo credit: Amy Vaughn | U.S. Department of Energy
U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon Director Richard King announced in March 2014 that two teams selected to compete in Solar Decathlon 2015 have decided not to move forward in the competition.
Officials from Oregon Institute of Technology and Portland State University said in a letter to competition officials that Team Oregon made the difficult decision not to compete in 2015 in order to use its experience to strengthen the foundation for a future team.
Similarly, Team Michigan (Lansing Community College, Kendall College of Art and Design, and Ferris State University) decided not to participate.
We wish the students from these teams well and hope they continue to pursue careers in clean energy fields. The Solar Decathlon has established a worldwide reputation as a successful workforce development opportunity for thousands of students. Every aspect of participation—from applying for acceptance to designing energy-efficient, solar-powered houses to competing onsite at the Orange County Great Park—offers collegiate students a meaningful educational experience.
King added that he’s excited about the 18 teams that are progressing in the competition and looks forward to seeing how each will rise to the challenge.
The Updated Solar Decathlon 2015 Team Lineup:
- California Polytechnic State University
- California State University, Sacramento
- Clemson University
- Crowder College and Drury University
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- New York City College of Technology
- Stanford University
- State University of New York at Alfred College of Technology and Alfred University
- Stevens Institute of Technology
- University of Florida, National University of Singapore, and Santa Fe College
- The University of Texas at Austin and Technische Universitaet Muenchen
- University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
- University of California, Davis
- University of California, Irvine; Saddleback College; Chapman University; and Irvine Valley College
- Vanderbilt University and Middle Tennessee State University
- West Virginia University and University of Roma Tor Vergata
- Western New England University, Universidad Tecnológica de Panamá, and Universidad Tecnológica Centroamericana
- Yale University.
Solar Decathlon Europe 2014 will be hosted in Versailles, France in June and July, located adjacent to the gardens of the Chateau de Versailles. The international competition challenges 20 student teams from 16 countries to design and build an energy-independent solar house.
Keep up to date with all the hottest cleantech news by subscribing to our (free) cleantech newsletter, or keep an eye on sector-specific news by getting our (also free) solar energy newsletter, electric vehicle newsletter, or wind energy newsletter.