Published on February 14th, 2014 | by Zachary Shahan0
Interview Inside Siemens’ LEED Platinum Headquarters In Masdar City On Opening Day (CT Exclusive)
February 14th, 2014 by Zachary Shahan
A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about the opening of Siemens’ new LEED Platinum Middle East headquarters in Masdar City*, which also included an exclusive video featuring several details about the building. However, earlier in the day, before the big launch ceremony, a few journalists and bloggers got to sit down with Dr Roland Busch, member of the managing board of Siemens AG and Sector CEO of Siemens Infrastructure and Cities, and Joerg Scheifler, CEO of Infrastructures and Cities Sector Middle East at Siemens. I recorded most of that conversation so that I could easily and precisely pass on the info to all of you. It gives a good sense for why Siemens is in Masdar City (and the Middle East as a whole), what it thinks of Masdar City, and potential cleantech developments there down the road. Check out the questions and answers in this video:
If you don’t feel like watching the video for some reason (say what?!), here are some key points I pulled out of the conversation:
- The LEED Platinum building uses state-of-the-art building automation technologies — Siemens’ most advanced on-the-market technologies in this realm.
- Siemens would love to help build a Masdar City microgrid.
- Siemens is a big fan of the idea of Masdar City, its aims, and the example it is setting.
- Siemens is pushing for some clean, electric, public transport in Masdar City as the city grows up a bit.
- The Middle East is a big growth market for Siemens’ various technologies — energy, rail, and healthcare.
- There are a lot of rail projects now coming to the Middle East.
*Full disclosure: Masdar covered my trip to Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week, which is where I filmed the above video.
Keep up to date with all the hottest cleantech news by subscribing to our (free) cleantech newsletter, or keep an eye on sector-specific news by getting our (also free) solar energy newsletter, electric vehicle newsletter, or wind energy newsletter.