Published on January 23rd, 2014 | by Nicholas Brown3
Specifications For EREV London Cab Revealed
Frazer-Nash and Ecotive have been developing an extended range electric vehicle (EREV) for use as a taxi in London and other UK cities. It is called a Metrocab. The EREV utilizes two rear-mounted electric motors (50 kW each), with one at each wheel for propulsion. Those motors are powered by a 12.2 kWh lithium-ion (lithium polymer, in this case) battery bank which can be recharged using a standard power outlet.
The battery bank is recharged by a 1-litre petrol engine-powered generator, and regenerative braking. The full range is 350 miles. CO2 Emissions are less than 50g/km. Key points include the claim that it is designed, engineered, and built in Britain; has more than a million miles of testing and ten years of development; and the fact that the battery pack is installed in the floor, which is one reason for the Tesla Model S’s ample interior room. Unless the vehicle was extended, batteries would occupy a significant portion of the interior space otherwise.
“The all-new Range Extended Electric Metrocab has been in development since the mid-2000s with several prototypes built and over a million kilometers of engineering tests completed,” said Metrocab Chairman Sir Charles Masefield. “Instantly recognizable as an iconic London Hackney Cab, with a panoramic glass roof for views of the city, our new all-British London cab offers, for no price premium, completely new levels of economy, emissions and passenger comfort and is ready to enter service this year, benefiting the passenger, driver, city and environment alike.”
Other characteristics include:
- Driver multi-function touch screen display and instrument cluster with color display.
- Passenger color TV display.
- USB charging socket.
- Digital infotainment system.
- Hands-free telephone.
- Air conditioning and heating.
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS).
- 3-seater rear bench seat – fore/aft adjustable for more luggage space when required.
- 3 rear facing flip down seats.
- 1 optional front passenger seat.
- Full wheelchair access with integrated wheelchair ramp.
- Panoramic glass roof.
- Mood Lighting.
- Air suspension.
- A top speed of 80 mph, which isn’t lower than most speed limits, so this shouldn’t be an issue.