Published on September 29th, 2013 | by Zachary Shahan4
Fund It: Rent-to-Own Solar Light On SunFunder
September 29th, 2013 by Zachary Shahan
Back in March, we featured solar crowdfunding platform SunFunder, which had just been awarded $25,000 by Facebook and the Cleantech Group as winners of the Cleantech Goes Social competition. From that post, here’s a refresher on what’s special about SunFunder:
- SunFunder dashboard: Shows progress on metrics like dollars invested, number of projects, energy saved, and number of people helped. Users can see the impact their networks of friends are making, and ask others to invest with them.
- Easy payments: Funders in any country can use Facebook payments to invest in projects like solar powered lights.
- Custom stories: A unique video is auto-generated about every funding activity which funders can share with their friends.
- Matching and gifting: Funders can create a matching fund to incentivize their friends to invest. They can also send friends gift cards to introduce them to SunFunder.
- Connect: Project pages are integrated with Facebook plugins to connect funders with each other and help them recruit friends. SunFunder users can also subscribe to receive updates from other investors, solar partners, entrepreneurs, and the ends users themselves.
So, SunFunder is now rolling. One project currently featured on the solar crowdfunding site is a rent-to-own solar light, “the second project in the SunFunder-smallsolutions partnership to bring solar powered lighting and phone charging to rural communities in Uganda.”
The target is a $20,000 loan. Head on over to SunFunder for more info and to invest some money!
Here are a few pics from the campaign page:
Keep up to date with all the hottest cleantech news by subscribing to our (free) cleantech newsletter, or keep an eye on sector-specific news by getting our (also free) solar energy newsletter, electric vehicle newsletter, or wind energy newsletter.