Published on November 23rd, 2012 | by Joshua S Hill2
Samsung & LG Producing World’s Most Energy Efficient Televisions
November 23rd, 2012 by Joshua S Hill
In the first ever SEAD Global Efficiency Medal competition for flat-panel televisions, Samsung and LG took the top awards for producing televisions 33 percent to 44 percent more energy efficient than similar competitors.
SEAD stands for the Super-efficient Equipment and Appliance Deployment initiative, which is seeking to “transform the global market for efficient equipment and appliances.” The global awards program seeks to encourage the production and sale of highly energy-efficient technology, and aims to spur innovation among manufacturers as well as encourage consumer adoption of highly efficient appliances.
The first competition identified the most energy efficient and commercially available flat-panel television in three size markets, as well as one television which is the most energy efficient emerging technology. The awards were given to televisions that use 33 percent to 44 percent less energy than their technologically comparable competitors, while the emerging technology winner is 59% more efficient than comparable televisions on the market today.
“We have seen drastic improvements in TV energy efficiency over the last years, but the winning manufacturers demonstrate that the potential for improvement remains large,” says Peter Bennich of the Swedish Energy Agency.
SEAD Global Winners
- The Samsung UN26EH4000F received the SEAD Global Efficiency Medal in the small-size (less than 29 in.) category.
- Two Samsung models, the UE40EH5000W and UN40EH5000F, tied as the global winner in the medium-size (29 in. to less than 42 in.) category.
- The LG 47LM670S received the SEAD Global Efficiency Medal in the large-size (42 in. and above) category.
- An LG 47-inch backlit LCD prototype TV won the SEAD Global Efficiency Medal in the emerging technology category.
SEAD also recognized regional winners. In North America, the most energy efficient TVs commercially available are:
- Samsung UN26EH4000F in the small-size category;
- Samsung UN40EH5000F in the medium-size category; and
- LG 47LM6700 in the large-size category
Source: SuperEfficient.org via PR Newswire
Image Source: LG
Don’t own or lease an electric car but want to? Complete our EV owner wannabe survey!
Keep up to date with all the hottest cleantech news by subscribing to our (free) cleantech newsletter, or keep an eye on sector-specific news by getting our (also free) solar energy newsletter, electric vehicle newsletter, or wind energy newsletter.