Published on November 5th, 2012 | by Joshua S Hill2
Philips Reveal World’s Smartest LED Light Bulb
November 5th, 2012 by Joshua S Hill
Philips has revealed the world’s first Web-enabled LED home light system available directly to the consumer via Apple stores (exclusively).
The Philips hue kit includes three LED bulbs that will fit into any standard light fixture and a bridge that connects to existing wireless routers.
Consumers will be able to control the hue from any iOS or Android smart phone after downloading the hue app, allowing them to gain extra security, personal lighting experiences, and manage daily lighting schedules.
“Philips hue is a game changer in lighting,” said Bruno Biasiotta, CEO and President of Philips Lighting North America. “Just as our experiences with phones, televisions and movies have evolved, thanks to hue, we’ll never look at or interact with lighting in the same way again. At Philips, we continue to redefine the art of the possible with LED technology, and hue pushes the boundaries even more, not just in offering great light quality, but in how lighting can be digitized and integrated with our world to further simplify and enhance our lives.”
Philips hue can:
- Eliminate the guesswork in what bulb to buy, offering tunable white light, from cool to warm based on personal preference
- Achieve a color rendering index of over 90 in the white range, closely mimicking the color qualities of an incandescent
- Provide more than 16 million colors to customize the lighting in each room
- Be set as a gentle wake up light or help one go to sleep
- Relive personal experiences by mimicking the colors in photos by simply dragging and dropping within the app
- Turn on/turn off lights when not at home
- Save light settings and easily recall them from a smart device
- Manage up to 50 hue bulbs from one device and allow each bulb to be controlled individually
- Reduce energy consumption with 8.5 watt bulbs that are 80% more energy efficient than traditional light bulbs
Source: Forum Media
Keep up to date with all the hottest cleantech news by subscribing to our (free) cleantech newsletter, or keep an eye on sector-specific news by getting our (also free) solar energy newsletter, electric vehicle newsletter, or wind energy newsletter.