Published on June 15th, 2012 | by Zachary Shahan72
7 Arguments Against Nuclear Power (Why It Should Be a No-Go)
A reader recently dropped the below quote/list in a comment on a post regarding nuclear power in Australia. I thought it was an excellent one and have been meaning to get to it for awhile. It certainly summarizes my own 7 reasons for being against nuclear. While some people (well, most people) are probably firmly against nuclear just for 1-3 of the reasons below, the beauty of the list is that it summarizes the fact that nuclear is a bad call in numerous arenas.
Of course, anyone familiar with thorium nuclear reactors will know that this alternative is not so bad on some of these fronts, and actually helps to address #5, and possibly #4. But the point remains that the other arguments still apply.
Anyway, enough of my introduction, here’s the comment/list (which apparently originated in this post):
“In summary, the 7 reasons why we should say NO to nuclear power are:
1. Because it is not a fast enough response to climate change
2. Because it is too expensive
3. Because the need for baseload electricity is exaggerated
4. Because the problem of waste remains unresolved
5. Because it will increase the risk of nuclear war
6. Because there are safety concerns
7. Because there are better alternatives”
What do you think? Something to add?
Image: nuclear power plant in Temelin, Czech Republic via Shutterstock