JackRabbit CEO Jason Kenagy is a tech industry veteran with a deep enthusiasm for cycling, and sustainability. His recent panel at SXSW highlighted the fact that, while electric cars are here (and here to stay), their relatively high price points limit their ability to make the biggest impact in the shortest time, which means they aren’t the necessarily the most viable solution to climate change. As Jason and his partners said when they looked at the problem, “We need to think small to make a big change.”
The JackRabbit micro e-bike was born from that simple idea. Developed in the US by Jason and JackRabbit CTO, Tom Piszkin, the JackRabbit represents a new kind of vehicle that offers the safety, stability, and comfort of a bicycle at a price that’s closer to that of an electric scooter.
The JackRabbit’s 20″ wheels and compact batteries (small enough to fly on a commercial airline) make it a unique mobility proposition – and the fact that you can fit nearly a half-dozen of these in your Tesla? That’s just icing on the lithium-ion cake.
The Most Portable E-bike in the World, with Jason Kenagy
- We talk about the JackRabbit being developed as an original project here in the US after some successful crowdfunding rounds. Here’s a link to their original kickstarter campaign – and Kyle Field’s review of an early prototype from a year before.
- I mention an article that talks about my struggle to categorize the micro e-bike, and my reasons for leaving it off the “best e-bikes” list. You can read that original article at this link.
- We talk about the JackRabbit’s battery being small enough to take on airlines – you can read about the FAA’s take on li-ion batteries on plans here.
- We joke about carrying additional, nearly pocket-sized batteries to extend the range of your JackRabbit on a bandolier. If you don’t know what that is, it’s one of these.
- If you want to see some of the custom JackRabbits out there, check out the brand’s Instagram page here.
Click “play” on the Spotify player above to hear the episode.
Original content from CleanTechnica, sponsored by JackRabbit.bike.
Sign up for daily news updates from CleanTechnica on email. Or follow us on Google News!
Have a tip for CleanTechnica, want to advertise, or want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.
Former Tesla Battery Expert Leading Lyten Into New Lithium-Sulfur Battery Era — Podcast:
I don't like paywalls. You don't like paywalls. Who likes paywalls? Here at CleanTechnica, we implemented a limited paywall for a while, but it always felt wrong — and it was always tough to decide what we should put behind there. In theory, your most exclusive and best content goes behind a paywall. But then fewer people read it! We just don't like paywalls, and so we've decided to ditch ours. Unfortunately, the media business is still a tough, cut-throat business with tiny margins. It's a never-ending Olympic challenge to stay above water or even perhaps — gasp — grow. So ...