Phoenix, Arizona-based Lectric eBikes is launching a new folding step-through bike that looks like the perfect blend of compact without sacrificing ride quality for full-sized humans.
The Lectric XP Step-Thru builds on the success of the Lectric XP with a lower standover height to make getting on and off easier. Low-step frames are absolutely clutch when carrying weight on the racks, and they are just plain easier to mount and dismount. Speaking of carrying capacity, the Lectric XP Step-Thru might be shorter and more portable than most e-bikes, but it can hold its own with an impressive rider carrying capacity of 275 pounds (124.7 kg) and a rear rack cargo capacity of 55 pounds (25 kg).
“Our customers have been requesting a model like this for quite some time,” says Deziel. “We are now able to accommodate individuals who have always wanted an e-bike but have been hesitant to purchase one due to concerns about their ability to easily get onto the bike.”
Lectric eBikes first caught my eye when I saw what looked like a compact folding bike carrying an adult around without making it look like a circus act. What makes it all work is the 20″ x 4″ tires that give the bike a robust base and a bit of cushion without having to go full bore with suspension. The massive tires of the new step-through, which launches in September at an introductory price of $899, underpin a robust but compact folding frame.
At just under $900, quality is the biggest question when it comes to Lectric bikes, but it seems to have things on lock. LG batteries underpin the electric side of the game, while Shimano and Tektro components handle the human side of the contribution.
At just over 1 year old, Lectric eBikes was born when co-founders Levi Conlow and Robby Deziel noticed a gap in the market for an affordable e-bike built with quality components. Apparently, consumers also saw this gap, as they flocked to the brand.
Since launching in May 2019, the duo has sold more than 15,000 e-bikes.
- Weight: Total weight of bike with battery: 63 lbs
- Battery weight: 7 lbs
- Weight Carrying Capacity: Maximum rider weight: 275 lbs; maximum load on rear rack: 55 lbs
- Dimensions: Unfolded Dimensions: 66 x 18 x 47 in; folded: 37 x 18 x 27 in.
- Battery: Lithium Ion 48v 10.4ah with LG cells yields 25-50 mile range. Actual range will vary based on weight load, terrain, weather, and other factors.
- Charge Time: 4-6 hour charge time
- Motor: 500W (800W+ peak) brushless geared rear hub
- Brakes: Tektro 160mm mechanical disc brakes
- Tires: CST or Chaoyang 4″ x 20″ Fat tires *CST Pictured
- eBike Classification: Class 2 Electric Bike on shipment (limited to 20mph). Can be changed to Class 3 via the display (limited to 28mph)