Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

CleanTechnica

Cars

Tesla Model 3 Is Best Selling BEV In Sweden As Market Hits 25%

The Swedish plug-in electric vehicle market share in June 2020 hit 25%, up significantly from 10% in June 2019. Overall auto sales were still recovering, down 23% year on year. 

The Swedish plug-in electric vehicle market share in June 2020 hit 25%, up significantly from 10% in June 2019. Overall auto sales were still recovering, down 23% year on year. The Tesla Model 3 was the best selling full electric vehicle in June, as well as January–June, selling significantly more than the runner up Renault Zoe.

As usual in Sweden, plug-in hybrids (PHEVs) were preferred over full battery electrics (BEVs), with PHEVs taking 73% of the combined 6,400 EV sales, and BEVs taking the remaining 27%.

Best sellers in June were the Volvo XC60 PHEV, and S60/V60 PHEVs. The Volkswagen Passat PHEV and Kia Niro PHEV filled out the top 4 spots, with the Tesla Model 3 — the best selling BEV in June — taking the #5 position.

For the first 6 months of 2020, the Tesla Model 3 took a significant lead as the best selling BEV overall, handily beating out the much more affordable Renault Zoe:

As was the case after May’s results, the auto industry association BIL Sweden continues to call for a temporary scrappage scheme to help boost new vehicle sales, though there’s not yet any sign of movement on this by the government.

Although auto sales were some 22% to 23% down from June 2019, the distribution of working days in June was less favorable in 2020 than 2019, with 15% fewer “selling days” as the industry likes to call them. Thus, the actual year-on-year reduction in sales rate may be closer to 7% or 8%, which may not justify significant government intervention. I suspect the government will wait to see if July sales are close to normal before making any decision to boost the sector.

BIL Sweden also stated that, “There is still greater demand than supply of rechargeable vehicles,” which is a widespread condition in much of Europe. This being the case, Europeans will welcome supply of EVs from anywhere that can provide them, including, for example, the upcoming BYD Tang  and Aiways U5 from China, which should offer great value, just like the MG ZS EV has been.

What will the 2020 full year EV market share result be for Sweden? It’s anyone’s guess, but I still think that 30% is possible if supply is not overly constrained. Much will depend on whether the Volkswagen ID.3 manages to get moving in decent volume before the end of the year.

Article images courtesy of respective brands.

 
Appreciate CleanTechnica’s originality and cleantech news coverage? Consider becoming a CleanTechnica Member, Supporter, Technician, or Ambassador — or a patron on Patreon.
 

Don't want to miss a cleantech story? Sign up for daily news updates from CleanTechnica on email. Or follow us on Google News!
 

Have a tip for CleanTechnica, want to advertise, or want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.
Advertisement
 

Max is an anthropologist, social theorist and international political economist, trying to ask questions and encourage critical thinking about social and environmental justice, sustainability and the human condition. He has lived and worked in Europe and Asia, and is currently based in Barcelona. Find Max's book on social theory, follow Max on twitter @Dr_Maximilian and at MaximilianHolland.com, or contact him via LinkedIn.

Comments

#1 most loved electric vehicle, solar energy, and battery news & analysis site in the world.

 

Support our work today!

Power CleanTechnica: $3/Month

Tesla News Solar News EV News Data Reports

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Tesla News

EV Reviews

Home Efficiency

You May Also Like

Cars

Jon Edwards, as told to David Waterworth The team behind the Tesla Model 3 Targa West success story plans to be part of the...

Cars

The company that revolutionized the car industry has become the object of laughter and vitriol, as its innovative leader-genius brings the private into the...

Cars

Germany, Europe’s largest auto market, saw plugin electric vehicles take 25.5% share in July. This up from 22.6% year on year. Overall auto market...

Cars

There are signs of recovery in Italy’s car market, and plugin vehicle registrations went up at the end of the first half of the...

Copyright © 2021 CleanTechnica. The content produced by this site is for entertainment purposes only. Opinions and comments published on this site may not be sanctioned by and do not necessarily represent the views of CleanTechnica, its owners, sponsors, affiliates, or subsidiaries.