A new report published earlier this month has revealed that New Yorkers overwhelmingly want the ability to choose their energy supplier, clean energy, and want more renewable energy in New York’s electricity mix.
Commissioned by renewable energy company CleanChoice Energy and conducted by SurveyUSA, the new poll interviewed 600 New York State residents and revealed that support for renewable energy had no partisan divide, with both Republicans and Democrats overwhelmingly supporting the option to choose clean energy.
Key highlights from the polling are as follows:
- 79% of New Yorkers want to be able choose who provides their electricity.
- 81% of New Yorkers want to be able to choose clean, renewable energy as a source for their home.
- 77% of New Yorkers would be interested in 100% renewable energy if provided the option
- New York residents overwhelmingly support the RESCO model for clean energy delivery even above rooftop solar and other technologies. 69% want 100% clean renewable energy compared to the 49% who want rooftop solar panels, the 52% who want home efficiency products and smart thermostats, and the 29% who want low carbon natural gas.
- New Yorkers support community solar. 25% of respondents selected a 10 out of 10, describing themselves as “extremely interested” in community solar and 72% of responded selected 6 or higher.
New York is one of the leading states in the US making huge strides towards reducing its emissions and boosting renewable energy development. Last year Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that New York intends to phase out all coal-fired power plants before 2020, saying “We will help the few remaining coal plants transition but we must clean our air and protect our health and that must be our first priority.” New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio also announced in 2016 that his city intends to cut carbon emissions by 40% by 2030, while just a few months ago de Blasio announced new mandates on building owners to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Sign up for daily news updates from CleanTechnica on email. Or follow us on Google News!
Have a tip for CleanTechnica, want to advertise, or want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.
Former Tesla Battery Expert Leading Lyten Into New Lithium-Sulfur Battery Era — Podcast:
I don't like paywalls. You don't like paywalls. Who likes paywalls? Here at CleanTechnica, we implemented a limited paywall for a while, but it always felt wrong — and it was always tough to decide what we should put behind there. In theory, your most exclusive and best content goes behind a paywall. But then fewer people read it! We just don't like paywalls, and so we've decided to ditch ours. Unfortunately, the media business is still a tough, cut-throat business with tiny margins. It's a never-ending Olympic challenge to stay above water or even perhaps — gasp — grow. So ...