Driving and charging an emissions-free EV is a seamless activity 90% of the time (for me). The area where I drive my EV has ample charging stations and choices for my daily commutes. I do wonder about areas with more EVs and how charging availability is. To help with that, ChargePoint’s new service, Waitlist, enables drivers to use their mobile phones or RFID cards to “line up” to use a charging station.
ChargePoint is a worldwide leader in EV charging. Leading again to ease stress during busy charging times, ChargePoint initiated the service after examining data and customer feedback. The solution makes EV charging in public/shared spaces more efficient. When a charging station is busy, drivers can use Waitlist by tapping their ChargePoint card on the station to get in line.
Benefits of Waitlist for EV drivers include:
- Instead of waiting for a station to become available, you can use Waitlist to get in line and receive alerts when it’s your turn to plug in.
- You can get in line at one station or a group of stations.
- You can receive notifications when a station becomes available.
- If you’re busy, snooze and you won’t lose your place in line. Or if you don’t need to charge, decline.
- There’s the option of automatic scheduling to get in line each day during certain hours.
- After a car has finished charging or reached the time or energy limit set by station owners, drivers receive a friendly reminder asking them to move their vehicle so others can charge.
- Drivers can also set up Waitlist so they are automatically added to a queue every day.
Here’s a video on Waitlist for station owners:
The press release on September 12 explains: “ChargePoint tested Waitlist with 30 customers, serving 14,000 drivers, before making the service widely available, and found that station use increased by 20% on average, and as much as 45% for stations that were already busy.”
The solid results showed off an average of 500 drivers queued up on any given day and were able to conveniently get their charging needs. “Drivers, many of whom had created inadequate, makeshift systems to address crowded charging stations, reported that Waitlist removed the stress and tension of sharing stations.”
- BMW, VW, & ChargePoint Complete Fast Charging Corridors
- ChargePoint Now Has 30,000 Charging Stations, Nearly 3x More Than US Starbucks Location
Image: Cynthia Shahan for Cleantechnica Pics