Definitely, in one’s transition to EV from ICE, charging convenience and charging speed are huge considerations. In regards to charging convenience when you need public charging, BMW has been working on the matter. Late last fall, BMW i3 buyers were offered free access to EVgo’s network of DC fast-charging sites. Now, ChargeNow (by EVgo), a public charging solution for BMW i and BMW iPerformance drivers, is adding to the pot. ChargeNow is “designed to simplify the process of public charging for BMW drivers.” What exactly does that mean? Here’s what:
By incorporating ConnectedDrive, BMW i and iPerformance vehicles come equipped with the technology to easily locate the nearest public charging stations, in advance or on the go. You can enjoy easy access to public chargers along the way, thanks to ChargeNow’s partnerships with public EV charging network providers. With the convenience of ChargeNow for public charging, BMW i and BMW iPerformance (BMW X5 xDrive40e, 330e Sedan, and the 740e xDrive Sedan) owners can focus on the joy of e-mobility.
Convenient access to public charging and special pricing programs – all with your ChargeNow card.
ChargeNow’s partnerships with public EV charging network providers are critical to this being useful. BMW has been working with charging station providers for years, but this requires a strong and serious investment.
An admin on The Circuit, the Official BMW i Forum shared the brief ChargeNow synopsis, overview, and cost breakdown following the ChargeNow by EVgo announcement:
ChargeNow by EVgo lets drivers choose from:
- ChargeNow by EVgo — Annual Pass. Limited time offer, enroll by 12/31/16 to pay just $99 for a full year (DC + Level 2) OR just $39 for a year of Level 2 unlimited charging sessions at participating EVgo stations in 25 markets, using a registered ChargeNow card.
* Just $99 for a full year of unlimited DC Fast + Level 2 charging sessions (BMW i3 drivers with DC Fast charging capability)
* Just $39 for a full year of unlimited Level 2 charging sessions (BMW i3 without DC Fast, BMW i8, BMW iPerformance)
* Unlimited for DC Fast + Level 2: 30 minutes DC Fast, 1 hour Level 2 charging. Unlimited for Level 2: 2 hours of Level 2 charging. Fees apply for additional time plugged into charger. Other terms apply, see www.ChargeNowUSA.com.
- ChargeNow by EVgo — Pay As You Go. Limited time offer, enroll by 7/31/17 to lock in pricing below for one year (up to 30% savings) for charging at participating EVgo stations in 25 markets, using a registered ChargeNow card.
* DC Fast charging: $2.95 session fee + $0.15 per minute. Save 30%
* Level 2 charging: $1.20 per plug-hour. Save 20%
* Savings based on comparison to EVgo Flex Plan rates. Other terms apply, see www.ChargeNowUSA.com.
Enrollment begins at ChargeNowUSA.com — the (new) home for public charging information, access and promotions for BMW i and iPerformance drivers.
25 ChargeNow DC Fast and ChargeNow by EVgo Markets are listed below and can also be found at www.ChargeNowUSA.com.
- Atlanta, GA
- Fresno, CA
- New York, NY
- Sacramento, CA
- Austin, TX
- Houston, TX
- Orlando, FL
- Salt Lake City, UT
- Boston, MA
- Los Angeles, CA
- Philadelphia, PA
- San Diego, CA
- Chicago, IL
- Miami, FL
- Phoenix, AZ
- San Francisco, CA
- Dallas, TX
- Monterey, CA
- Portland, OR
- Santa Barbara, CA
- Denver, CO
- Nashville, TN
- Raleigh, NC
- Seattle, WA
- Washington, DC
With increasing conversations about the benefits of EV driving, as well as financial incentives and other policy initiatives to promote EVs, the conversation is moving, information is being shared, and infrastructure is growing. Maybe it’s time for you to jump into a BMW i3?
Have a tip for CleanTechnica? Want to advertise? Want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.
CleanTechnica Holiday Wish Book
Our Latest EVObsession Video
CleanTechnica uses affiliate links. See our policy here.