Originally published on EV Obsession.
Despite all of its ongoing legal and PR issues (following the diesel emissions cheating scandal), it seems that Volkswagen is still chugging along just fine …. The company recently released a number of new teaser images of the luxury plug-in hybrid SUV concept that it will be revealing at the upcoming Beijing Auto Show — giving us a first look of sorts at the concept car.
The new plug-in hybrid electric (PHEV) SUV concept has been described by the company as being indicative of its future direction — with a growing emphasis on “digitalization” of the company’s offerings, as well as an embrace of electric drivetrain technologies (so the company claims, anyway).
Here are some bullet points from Volkswagen:
- The concept is one of the most advanced luxury SUVs in the world
- Concept moves luxury SUV design to a more sporty and elegant level
- The vehicle further demonstrates Volkswagen’s continued digitilization of the automobile
- Digital operation and display system enables a completely new level of interactivity
- Active Info Display and infotainment system merge
- More than ever, the lounge-style interior and digitized operation are centered on passengers
- SUV has a plug-in-hybrid powertrain with 376 horsepower total output and 516 pound-feet of torque
- The fully electric range of the SUV is up to 50 kilometers or 31 miles
- The predicted NEDC combined fuel consumption is 78 mpg
- The concept accelerates from 0 to 62 mph in 6.0 seconds and has a top speed of 139 mph
As always with Volkswagen, who’s knows if there’s anything more to any of this other than talk. I guess that we’ll get a better idea after the upcoming show.
Don't want to miss a cleantech story? Sign up for daily news updates from CleanTechnica on email. Or follow us on Google News!
Have a tip for CleanTechnica, want to advertise, or want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.