Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?



Renewable Energy = 100% of New US Power Capacity In October

Sign up for daily news updates from CleanTechnica on email. Or follow us on Google News!

US renewable energy growth Oct 2015Following up on CleanTechnica‘s latest “,” here’s our latest “.” The story in October is what it has been on numerous occasions in the past year — renewable energy accounted for 100% of new electricity generation capacity additions. Wind and solar accounted for 98% and biomass filled in the other 2%.

For the year through October, solar and wind accounted for 67% of all new power capacity in the US, and renewables together accounted for 70%, according to data from FERC.


In other words, if (in a very hypothetical world) construction of United States power infrastructure began on January 1, 2015, then 70% of the country’s power capacity from grid-connected power plants would be coming from renewables. What a world that would be!!

The unfortunate thing is that it takes a long time to transition the massive US power infrastructure network, and that network was actually created with dirty fossil fuel and nuclear power plants. Just has ~13% of our electricity comes from renewables in 2015.

But change has to start somewhere, and it’s exciting to see that change is afoot in the US electricity market. Fossils are out and cleantech is in… for the most part, that is. As you can also see when looking at the table below or charts above, 29% of new power capacity in 2015 has come from natural gas. If we are going to jump to 20%, 30%, 50%, and 70% of electricity coming from renewables “soon,” then we need to stop installing natural gas power plants.

The good news is that solar and wind are beginning to come in cheaper than natural gas, which is helping renewables to win contracts with utilities that they couldn’t win a few years ago. (Also see: Wind & Solar Now Cheaper Than Fossils & Nuclear and Solar & Wind Power Prices Often Lower Than Fossil Fuel Power Prices.)

Questions for the near future are: Will renewables stay above 70% of new US power capacity in 2015? What will the story be in 2016? When will cumulative US renewable power capacity pass 20%? When will it pass 30%? And when will we have enough renewable power capacity to get 30% of our electricity from renewables?

US Renewable Energy Capacity Growth - October 2015

Have a tip for CleanTechnica? Want to advertise? Want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.

EV Obsession Daily!

I don't like paywalls. You don't like paywalls. Who likes paywalls? Here at CleanTechnica, we implemented a limited paywall for a while, but it always felt wrong — and it was always tough to decide what we should put behind there. In theory, your most exclusive and best content goes behind a paywall. But then fewer people read it!! So, we've decided to completely nix paywalls here at CleanTechnica. But...
Like other media companies, we need reader support! If you support us, please chip in a bit monthly to help our team write, edit, and publish 15 cleantech stories a day!
Thank you!

Tesla Sales in 2023, 2024, and 2030

CleanTechnica uses affiliate links. See our policy here.
Written By

Zach is tryin' to help society help itself one word at a time. He spends most of his time here on CleanTechnica as its director, chief editor, and CEO. Zach is recognized globally as an electric vehicle, solar energy, and energy storage expert. He has presented about cleantech at conferences in India, the UAE, Ukraine, Poland, Germany, the Netherlands, the USA, Canada, and Curaçao. Zach has long-term investments in Tesla [TSLA], NIO [NIO], Xpeng [XPEV], Ford [F], ChargePoint [CHPT], Amazon [AMZN], Piedmont Lithium [PLL], Lithium Americas [LAC], Albemarle Corporation [ALB], Nouveau Monde Graphite [NMGRF], Talon Metals [TLOFF], Arclight Clean Transition Corp [ACTC], and Starbucks [SBUX]. But he does not offer (explicitly or implicitly) investment advice of any sort.


You May Also Like

Cap And Trade

For projects expected to be built in 2030 in the EU, they have to account for the carbon dioxide and equivalent emissions at around...

Clean Power

Someone should look seriously at Red Hill and do more than this napkin math. 140 MWh of high-efficiency storage that reuses existing infrastructure isn't...

Climate Change

A new method for attacking blue-green algae blooms could pack a carbon sequestration punch in red and blue states alike.


New zinc bromine flow batteries take center stage in the long duration energy storage field, while adding to the list of things that Exxon...

Copyright © 2023 CleanTechnica. The content produced by this site is for entertainment purposes only. Opinions and comments published on this site may not be sanctioned by and do not necessarily represent the views of CleanTechnica, its owners, sponsors, affiliates, or subsidiaries.