The Model X page on Tesla’s website was updated following the official unveiling of the electric SUV last night. It now features considerably more information than before, including detailed specs, extensive pictures showing off the interior, and an overview of noteworthy features (the falcon-wing doors, the panoramic windshield, the HEPA filtration system, etc).
As much of this information is already out there, I’m just going to do a brief overview of some of the parts that really stand out to me.
- A “safety first” design: A design highly resistant to rollovers; an “active safety system” that uses camera, radar, and sonar systems to monitor conditions and help prevent accidents; and a medical grade HEPA filtration system. Strangely (amazingly?), the Model X also features a “bio weapon defense mode” that will create positive pressure in the cabin to protect against the infiltration of outside pollutants.
- The much ballyhooed falcon doors: These impressively only require a foot of clearance to work. They are integrated with sensors which allow owners to open them in garages with ceilings of any height.
- A market-leading aerodynamic design: The Model X’s drag coefficient is 20% less than the next-best SUV out there in this category, apparently. The model possesses a range of 250 miles per charge, with some big thanks to that record drag coefficient.
- The view: The Model X possesses the largest all-glass panoramic windshield in production.
- Towing: The Model X is the first production EV to possess a 5,000-pound towing capacity.
- Crazy quick: The P90D Model X with the Ludicrous Mode upgrade can do 0 to 60 miles per hour in just 3.2 seconds.
- Seating: The design allows for enough space to comfortably seat 7 people. (A 6-seat interior layout is also available.)
- Fun: The model also possesses an automatic keyless entry option. The door opens for you while your walking up to it, in other words.
A final note, for those that are now salivating, new reservations are currently not expected to be delivered until late 2016. That said, those who are interested should probably go ahead and put a deposit down now….
Have a tip for CleanTechnica? Want to advertise? Want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.
CleanTechnica Holiday Wish Book
Our Latest EVObsession Video
CleanTechnica uses affiliate links. See our policy here.