Published on May 23rd, 2015 | by Zachary Shahan1
BMW i8 Gawkers: What Do They Know? (CleanTechnica Video)
May 23rd, 2015 by Zachary Shahan
On the way to Abu Dhabi for Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week, I was pleasantly surprised to see a BMW i8 in the Frankfurt airport. As great as it looks in pics, it is really a stunner in person. Even compared to Lamborghinis, Aston Martins, Porsches, Maseratis, and other great cars, it looks really hot.
Needless to say, it was pulling people (especially guys) over like flies to honey, or moths to a flame. Many were gawking at it, peeking and peering all around it, and (of course) taking selfies with it. I wondered how many of them actually knew anything about the car.
On the way back to Poland, I went through Frankfurt again actually had several hours of layover time on my hands. I thought that doing an informal survey with the gawkers might be interesting, so I pulled out my camcorder and started interviewing people who were taking pictures of the car, or at least stopping to stare at it. The montage below is the result of that.
Out of the 10-20 people I had a chat with, I was surprised to find out that one of them interviewed for a job designing the Model X (the guy at the end) and one of them was headed to Silicon Valley to do an internship with Tesla Motors. None of them had any affiliation with BMW.
Somewhat humorously, it was the one lady looking closely at the car who was the one headed to Tesla. Hopefully she’s now having a blast with the Tesla crew in California.
- BMW i8 Named World Green Car Of The Year
- Dubai Police Force Adds BMW i8 To Fleet
- Top Gear Car of the Year = BMW i8
- Tuner Battle: Which BMW i8 Looks Better v2.0
- BMW i8 Production Increased To Lower Wait Times
- BMW i8 Drag Races M4 In Sibling Rivalry
- BMW i8 Meets BMW M1 On The Track
- This Is The Man That Bought The First BMW i8
- BMW i8 Commercial Shows What An Electric Car Commercial Should Be
- The Devil Is In The Details: BMW i8 Tech Video
Check out our new 93-page EV report, based on over 2,000 surveys collected from EV drivers in 49 of 50 US states, 26 European countries, and 9 Canadian provinces.