Published on January 15th, 2015 | by Joshua S Hill7
10 Lighting & LED Trends For 2015, According To IHS
January 15th, 2015 by Joshua S Hill
Leading analytics company, IHS, has forecast 10 trends that it believes will propel the lighting and LED industry through 2015, which it believes could lead to improved margins for companies and lower prices for consumers.
“For the big three lighting suppliers, the road was bumpy: all of them recorded falling revenue in the first three quarters of 2014,” said William Rhodes, research manager of lighting and LEDs at IHS Technology. “Industry watchers are now looking to see if these giants of the lighting industry can turn the tide in 2015.”
The top predictions are as follows:
- China–the LED dragon–will continue to grow
- The sky is the limit for cloud-based smart lighting
- Changing fortunes for lighting companies expected in 2015
- Li-Fi, a brighter way to communicate
- Is lighting poised for a quantum leap?
- OLED luminaires, and where to purchase them
- LED filament bulbs: incandescent beauty with an LED twist
- Packaged LED industry is moving downstream and getting smarter
- Is your streetlight all that it seems?
- Automotive applications driving potoelectronic components market
And with the rise of the consumer electronics industry making LED lighting a ‘new’ and ‘cool’ toy–thanks to remote-controlled lighting from your smart-phone–the future for LED and lighting companies is … bright.
One of the takeaways from the IHS press release, which notified the release of an accompanying white paper, is the impact that the reorganisation of the top three lighting companies will have on the industry, with IHS predicting that it could turn the top three companies “into pure-play lighting companies focused on dynamic markets.” Such restructuring, says IHS, “will also allow LED makers to raise capital for further investment.”
“Changes in the corporate structure, could lead to improved margins for the companies, and possibly lower-priced products for consumers,” Rhodes said.
And while IHS doesn’t necessarily agree that cloud-based smart lighting will gain market share in 2015, it does agree that increased marketing of such consumer electronic gadgets could create mindshare in 2015, “positioning the market for future growth.”