The world’s first “consumer-ready, affordable” OLED lamp is now available to customers in North America, via the product design studio Aerelight Design.
The rather striking desk lamp utilizes an “advanced OLED light panel” to provide the warm, quite distinct “natural” light that the technology is well known for.
The model is currently on sale for $239 — so the price is quite steep for a desk lamp. That said, it is, as of right now, the only product of its kind on the market (and a new technology as well), so the pricing isn’t exactly surprising.
Here’s some background on the technology/business via an email sent to CleanTechnica:
Organic light emitting diode (OLED) is the next-generation of energy-efficient lighting, generating natural light by passing electricity through a thin layer of carbon-based organic dyes. OTI Lumionics started Aerelight Design with an exclusive focus on OLED light to demonstrate that the technology is finally ready for the consumer market. While the technology has been successfully implemented into high-end smartphone displays in the last few years, the launch of the aerelight desk lamp marks the first consumer-ready OLED lamp at an affordable price.
“OLED technology has been limited to only high-end smart-phone displays and TVs. OLED has many unique characteristics that make it the ideal light source of the future, but potential growth has been stifled by the high manufacturing cost barrier,” explained Michael G Helander, Co-Founder and President, OTI Lumionics. “For the last few years, we have been working on making OLED technology more accessible to new markets and product applications. The aerelight desk lamp is built to accentuate the unique and ultra-thin profile of OLED lighting, and is the first of many applications of this technology from our team.”
Here’s an overview of some of the key features of the new lamp:
- OLED Light Panel – Powered by an energy-efficient OLED light panel that uses only a fraction of the energy of traditional light sources, the aerelight desk lamp delivers natural full-spectrum warm light suitable for home or office use.
- Dimmable – The aerelight desk lamp is suitable for the most demanding tasks, but can also be fully dimmed for more intimate use.
- Touch Control – Simple to use with no buttons, both power and dimming capabilities for the aerelight desk lamp can be controlled by touching anywhere on the anodized aluminum frame.
- Wireless Charging – The aerelight desk lamp includes a wireless charging pad integrated into the base to conveniently charge any Qi-compatible mobile devices.
- Unique Design – Built from a single piece of anodized aluminum that accentuates the ultra-thin form of the OLED light panel, the aerelight desk lamp is available in three finishes – red, silver and black.
“Our hope is that the aerelight desk lamp will inspire people to rethink the possibilities of lighting design by implementing the unique characteristics of OLED technology with a sleek design,” concluded Ray Kwa, the Lead Industrial Designer behind the aerelight lamp.
Those interested can find out more, or pre-order, on the company’s website.
Image Credit: AereLight Design
I don't like paywalls. You don't like paywalls. Who likes paywalls? Here at CleanTechnica, we implemented a limited paywall for a while, but it always felt wrong — and it was always tough to decide what we should put behind there. In theory, your most exclusive and best content goes behind a paywall. But then fewer people read it! We just don't like paywalls, and so we've decided to ditch ours. Unfortunately, the media business is still a tough, cut-throat business with tiny margins. It's a never-ending Olympic challenge to stay above water or even perhaps — gasp — grow. So ...
Sign up for daily news updates from CleanTechnica on email. Or follow us on Google News!
Have a tip for CleanTechnica, want to advertise, or want to suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here.