Published on October 5th, 2014 | by Important Media Cross-Post12
The 6 Best Water Saving Technologies For Your Home
October 5th, 2014 by Important Media Cross-Post
Via Green Living Ideas:
One of the best ways to reduce your carbon footprint and save money around your home is by reducing the amount of water you use. Water consumption, for your utility bills, is a triple whammy–first you pay for the water from your water utility, then you pay your electric utility to heat the water, then you pay your water utility a separate cost to take the water away to a wastewater treatment plant. So water conservation is quite simply a great idea. It’s easy to do and there are all sorts of different ways to accomplish water savings. For starters try implementing some of these 10 simple ways to conserve water, or conduct your own home water savings audit. While these are a good place to start, installing water saving technologies into your home is a great way to ensure that you’ll always be conserving water even if you or your family happen to turn off the tap or really need a long shower! Take a look at our top 6 water saving technologies to see how they can save you money:
Top 6 Water Saving Technologies
1. The TapNFlush — This product is definitely the best bang for your buck when it comes to saving water in your home. Not only is it affordable, $20 + free shipping, it will pay for itself through savings five times over every year! This dual flush converter is definitely a win for both saving water and money.
2. High Efficiency Faucet Aerators — These nifty little fixtures come in at #2 on our list and are a great way to save water around your home. They’re easy to install and cost almost nothing, which makes them one of the best green products to invest your money into.
3. Water Efficient Shower Heads — Showers represent one of the best opportunities to save water and money in your home, and installing a water efficient shower head is a great way to get started. When switching from a 2.5GPM shower head to a Sava Spa shower head rated at 1.5GPM you’ll save 10 gallons of water for each 10 minute shower you take. If you have the average family of four, each showering once a day, that’s 1200 gallons of heated water per month! Over the course of a year could add up to significant savings since you’ll be using less heated water every time you shower.
4. Toilet Tank Bags — These inserts are yet another great way to save water around your home, and the best part is you won’t have to change your usage habits. Installing a toilet tank bag is easy and requires no special training whatsoever. Just fill it up, place it in your toilet tank, and every time you flush you’ll be using less water. The ones pictured above advertises a 0.8 gallon savings per flush if filled to capacity. Plus, they’re adjustable, so that if you only want to fill them halfway, you’ll still save 0.4 gallons per flush.
5. Niagara Water Savings Kit — These kits from Niagara are a great way to get started with saving water, energy and money around your home. They come with just about everything you’ll need and can save you upwards of $200 per year! But don’t take our word for it, check out this review from Blue Living Ideas and this article on Niagara itself. Niagara is ahead of the curve when it comes to water saving technologies and their products should save you money for years to come.
6. Water Flow Valves — These are probably one of the least known when it comes to water saving technologies, but they can have a big impact. The flow valve will allow you to temporarily stop or drastically reduce the flow of water while you’re soaping up in the shower, thus reducing both your water and energy bills. Try combining it with a water efficient shower head for bonus savings: together, you can reduce your shower water usage by 75%!
If you’re looking for more ways to save water and energy around your home, take a look at some of our green home improvement projects: Green Living Ideas, after all, is a top 20 home improvement website!