Published on December 25th, 2013 | by Zachary Shahan2
Whole Foods In Brooklyn Is *Jacked Up* On Cleantech
December 25th, 2013 by Zachary Shahan
A new Whole Foods Market store in Brooklyn is totally jacked up on cleantech, as well as other cool stuff. It includes:
- 19 UGE solar/wind-powered street lights (completely off the grid)
- 2 wind-powered electric vehicle (EV) charging stations
- 360kW solar car port (installed by a local financier)
Using distributed renewable energy (DRE) for charging electric vehicles comes with a few notable benefits (other than being clean), as UGE notes:
- Powering EV chargers with onsite DRE is more efficient than through the grid due to minimal grid losses in transmission
- Adding DRE to EV charging can add resiliency in the case of grid outages
Furthermore, the prominently placed EV chargers help to promote EV adoption. Naturally, Whole Foods is all about influencing consumer choice in a green way.
“We’re about 60% more efficient than any other grocery store in the United States. We’re going to be saving about 2.5 million kWh a year, which is equivalent to taking about 360 cars off the road annually. In addition to our combined heat and power system…we’ve incorporated Skypumps that use wind and solar energy to power electric vehicle charging stations. These same wind and solar technologies are also used to power our light poles. When you shop at Whole Foods Third and 3rd what you’ll feel is our commitment to supporting and advancing environmental stewardship,” Tristam Coffin & J’aime Mitchell of the Whole Foods Market Green Mission Team state.
The wind-powered EV charging stations (UGE Sanya Skypumps) combine UGE vertical-axis micro wind turbines with GE WattStations. Since UGE is the company that passed along this news about the Whole Foods Market Brooklyn opening, and since it’s doing some pretty cool stuff, I’ll go ahead and share a few more facts about the company with you:
World leader in DRE with installations in over 80 countries
- Complete DRE solution provider for enterprise customers, from solar PPAs to microgrids, a leader in both powering telecoms towers and street lighting, and the undisputed world leader in vertical axis wind turbines
- Leading partner to Fortune 500 companies, with ongoing relationships with JPMorgan, Whole Foods, Ford, BMW, GE and many additional global brands
- Collaborative culture, focused on forming long lasting relationships and our core values Be Green, Be Great, Have Fun
Good stuff. We need a lot more of this!
All images via UGE.
Check out our new 93-page EV report.
Join us for an upcoming Cleantech Revolution Tour conference!
Keep up to date with all the hottest cleantech news by subscribing to our (free) cleantech daily newsletter or weekly newsletter, or keep an eye on sector-specific news by getting our (also free) solar energy newsletter, electric vehicle newsletter, or wind energy newsletter.