Published on March 30th, 2012 | by Zachary Shahan0
China to Have 3 GW of Concentrated Solar Thermal Power (CSP) by 2020
March 30th, 2012 by Zachary Shahan
The concentrated solar power (aka concentrating solar power) market will continue to grow, even in the midst of solar PV’s rapid cost reductions. According to the latest reports, China is projected to have 1,000 MW (or 1 GW) of concentrated solar thermal power (CSP) capacity by 2015 and 3 GW by 2020.
“Among the newly-encouraged energy resources listed in the Catalogue of Industry Structure Adjustment 2011 Version issued by China’s National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) on June 1st, 2011, concentrating solar thermal power was given high priority,” REVE notes.
“According to China’s 12th Five-Year Plan, in the next 5 years, regions with good illumination conditions and adequate space and water resources will serve as pilot areas of solar thermal power projects to accelerate industry development. Insiders believe that by the end of the 12th Five-Year Plan period (2011-2015), China’s installed capacity of solar thermal power will exceed that of photovoltaic generation.”
REVE also notes that 2nd Annual China Concentrating Solar Power Summit will be June 28-29 in Beijing, China, where ‘hot issues’ will be discussed and investment opportunities explored. “250+ industry leaders from government departments, power & energy companies, solar power plants, technology and equipment suppliers, industry solution providers and research institutes will join in.”
Currently, here’s a list of Chinese CSP projects either planned or under construction:
- 1-MW Badaling Pilot Project — collaboration between the Institute of Electrical Engineering (IEE) and the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS)
- 12-MW (short term) / 300-MW (long term) project — collaboration between Xinjiang Qingsong Building Materials and Chemicals (Group) Co. and Guodian Xinjiang Company
- 50-MW project in Tibet by Huaneng Tibet Company
- 100-MW project in Sichuan Abazhou by Tianwei New Energy (Aba)
- 50-MW (TBD) by China Huadian Corporation
- 100-MW project in Golmud by GD ENERGY
- 100-MW project in Ningxia by Beijing Control Technology Co. Ltd
- 100-MW project (TBD) by Avic Xi’an Aero-Engine (Group) Ltd
- 100-MW project (TBD) by Guangdong Kangda
- 100-MW in Gansu by SETC Tianjin
- 1000-MW in Qinghai by Lion International Investment Ltd.
- 2000-MW in Shaanxi by Shandong Penglai Dianli and eSolar
Check out our new 93-page EV report.
Join us for an upcoming Cleantech Revolution Tour conference!